Thread: Marbled Godwit in gentle surf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marbled Godwit in gentle surf

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the Saturday morning, October 28 Fort DeSoto In-the-Field Instructional Session with the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III (at 390mm) and my favorite bird photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/500 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. AWB in sunny but very slightly overcast conditions.

One AF point above and three to the left of the center AF point/AI Servo/Expand AF was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point was placed on the side of the bird’s breast.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Please be especially harsh on this one :)

with love, artie

ps: see here to see the original and here to see what the boys and girls did with the RAW file challenge.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours though perhaps the contrast is a little high. The only detail that bugs me is the head - it isn't sharp. The slight blur in the legs is ok it conveys movement but from my point of view I would have preferred a sharp eye.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose and the color of the water. Agree with Jonathan re the head. It's not tack sharp. I thought so when I downloaded the RAW as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic, nice light, nice pose.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the blur in the legs, the background is really nice too. I also notice the top of the head is not incredibly sharp but it not very noticeable.