Thank You Posts

Default Common Seals

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/7.1
    1/2000
    ISO 3200

I am still getting to grips with these seals. With my head full of info from Steve, and others, I returned to them, on a rather dull day, at the weekend. Here they are 'perched' on the rock, with the tide coming in, and waves splashing over the top. They decide to leave, before they are washed off, and move onto a higher rock. Processed in PS2018 where I raised the shadows, adjusted the blacks/whites, burned the white foam, and sharpened with USM. For the first time at an ISO of 3200, I haven't applied any NR. I even took some shots at ISO 5000, which is all a first for me

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, nice to see more of these and I'm sure Steve will be happy with your faster SS and higher ISO here. I really like the poses of the seals in this one, especially the one on the right of the image. Noted that you had overcast conditions for this. It's my favourite lighting and enables some really wonderful images. In this case, I feel you could extract some more from it as it looks a little flat to my eye. If mine, I'd select the seals and play with the lighting on them to increase the tonal range and contrast. I often do that with my subject matter to make it pop a bit more. Otherwise, a nice frame a effective composition. Thanks for sharing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will, I like it, as there is a lit going on. If you have it, then a tad more to the left and above. It does appear a bit flat, however, again it could be the laptop, but I think you can get more from the image. I think darkening the FG and getting some colour out of the rock will help. Good to see you pushing things and did it break the camera???? But you need SS for stuff like this and you have the kit as I keep telling you to nail the images, you just have to have faith in both the camera and yourself.

Perhaps something like this, albeit from the laptop...

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn and Steve. Yes the RP looks better for sure. I'll have to get back down there and get 'that' shot

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Will, yes image a bit flat but a few quick tweaks help - even a quick linear curve makes a big difference followed by a quick sponge. (A bit quick and dirty but you will get my drift)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will - Again nice to include multiple seals in the image. I agree with the others and Steve's rp has taken it in the right direction. The seals look a bit darker here than your previous posts but may be due to conditions. Yes, to a bit more room to the left. Glad to see you experimenting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this Will, 3 good poses from the seals. I've found with the 1dx that with animals you can push the ISO further that with birds as (generally) you don't have as much fine feather detail to contend with, so I don't worry in the slightest at ISO 3200.

Steves RP has a nicer punch, and was what I was thinking of when I first saw it

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will a very cool frame of the common seal !!!!!
    Like the fact that all are doing different things , so there is a lot of stuff to look at . Well timed shot , congrats .
    The OP is a bit flat in tone and color IMO and if you have more space on the LHS would be even better .
    Steve has pushed it into the right direction , maybe a tad overboard , but you get the idea .What i do not like about that RP is the darker FG , looks not natural to me .But i think it is just a demo from Steve .

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

But i think it is just a demo from Steve
    Correct, as we are still away, now no heating in the house, all being re routed and no 'real' floors upstairs, hope we have something by next Wednesday Andreas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated and learned from.

Will