Thread: European Bison with calf

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison with calf

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...another one from my recent trip to Kraansvlak .
    Gerald and me has already been a bit frustrated ...LOL ... as i promised him my Bison whispering tricks , but they did not work at all .The bisons did not listen to me ....
    It was on his last day and only seen them far or not the big herd with the youngsters , he decided to leave in the early afternoon to go home via another location for shooting the red deer rut . And then we spotted the big herd on our way out of the reserve ...and what should i say ...we waited and the bisons delivered . The herd made its way right into our direction and we could wait for them and finally got plenty of shooting options ....patience paid off well and a bit of luck of being at the right time , in the right spot .
    I was happy for Gerald that he got the chances ....i stayed longer than him and had even more options the other days .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 200-400 IS L at 280 mm
    HH no support

F 8 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/2000 sec ; Auto Iso and man Exp

Processed with C1 and PS CC 2018 ; very slight crop for comp

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Andreas, lucky to get both within the same plane of focus. Like the colours and nice depth in the coats, the contrast for me works extremely well set against the habitat. You won't get this close with Musk Ox, fact!

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - This looks good with nice detail, sharpness and dof. Colors and tones look good too. I would prefer a tiny bit more room below and to the left if you have it. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, this has your signature quality to it in detail and rendering of tone and colour on the animals - very beautifully handled. Nice getting the adult and calf together like this too, although it might have been nice if they'd been a touch closer to one another. Perhaps you weren't whispering hard enough? The thing I would play with if this was mine is the brightness of the foreground grass and perhaps the bare earth/sand in the background. While they contrast well with the bison, I feel they are a little too strong at the moment. They are minor points though on what is still an lovely image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely details as ever Andreas, and great positioning in the field to get them both on the same focus plane. The fur just looks beautiful on these, and as usual, your techs seem to have made the most of it.

I really like the near identical poses, maybe just a little more on the left side wouldn't hurt, and maybe the sand in the BG is a little bright - minor nits but we have to find something!

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, Bro! Great getting the two on the same plane and isolated from the others in the herd - I'll have to go through my shots again and see if I have any really good adult/calf images - but don't think any are this nice.

I really like the way the light grasses offset the dark tones of the beasties. Excellent post production, of course!

Wondering how Bison breath looks on a frosty morning...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much to all of you who left a comment , much appreciated

I am fine with the brightness of the FG grass and the patch of sand , but if you like make an RP how it should look like from your POV .

Gerald - lets go again in frosty conditions

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Andreas, Whisperer of Magical Creatures

Super techs here, great to see both mama and baby Bison both sharp (nice DoF) and some great detail too. Well processed and colours are superb, so is sharpness and clarity.

Regarding composition, do you think there's enough space at the bottom of the frame to accommodate mom's virtual legs? Having followed your work for some years I know you have a great sense of proportion - so do not take this as criticism, just wondering...

Hope you have a lovely evening Boetie, a pleasure to view as always,
    Gabriela Plesea