Thread: Theme: great blue heron congregation

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: great blue heron congregation

Name:  BH congregation.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  360.6 KB
    This was taken in mid-March at a the heron rookery in S. Delta, B.C It's the best time to shoot there because the adult birds have all started to gather for the nesting season, but there are no leaves on the trees yet. 5DIII,Sigma 150-600mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, ISO 1000, f/6.3, 1/400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure I've ever seen this many GBH at the same time! Very cool. I think I'm finding this frame overall too distracting as a number of the birds are cut off or intersected with branches especially on the top half. The frame also looks a bit dark to me overall. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too many branches and not enough bird detail Bob. But, saying that, I can see where you are coming from.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments fellows. I agree on the too many branches problem but this group was the best option available out of several groupings ( and it was the only one close enough). The image is somewhat dark but lighting it up interfered with the jewel in a setting impression I was aiming for here. Following up on your suggestion I did play with the light a bit and found that raising the curve a tad helped brighten it while still leaving some of what I was after.