Thank You Posts

Default Common Seal

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/8
    1/2000
    ISO 1250

I went back to the seals, and this time used a faster SS as Steve recommended. This one I processed with PS2018. Reduced the highlights, slightly raised the shadows, adjusted the blacks/whites, added a little clarity. When opened, I raised the curves slightly, applied a little USM to the rock, and more USM to the seal and lowered the contrast of the whole image.

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not too sure about the logic of your processing Will it sounds a little contradictory to me. Having said that it looks pretty good. I would suggest removing a bit off the base, the rock looks quite "massive".

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, nice to see more of your wonderful seals. They are really attractive looking animals with those spots. Tone, colour and detail look good to me on this one but I also wonder if less of the rock would help the composition as it does dominate and is also quite similar in tone to the seal. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I thought the rock looked pretty cool, showing the seal in its natural surroundings. But I can see where you are coming from re the crop.

Will

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will - It looks like the light was a bit brighter but you handled it well. I like the blue tones of the water and sky. The seal looks good with respect to sharpness, tones, and it has better detail. I too would take a bit off the bottom. Yes, the rock is nice, but it dominates the image as posted.

TFS,
    Rachel

6. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Wil, l the markings are fabulous and for me it's a frame with wonderful detail. I am deeply unsure on cropping the rock. Will I feel my sentiments are similar to yours but at the same time the seal is quite central on the vertical side and I feel I have a leaning to frame differently. A bit torn here Will but that doesn't take from your image i've really enjoyed this one..

take care

stu

8. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will another nice one of the Common Seals .
    Looks less spectacular than the previous one , but reflects more the tranquility of their natural behavior . Their relatives the Grey Seals are way more active , at least from my experience .
    I do like the seal placed on the rock covered with all that sea pock stuff , nice overall colors and tones .
    You have a better SS for sure , i still do miss the fine detail in the fur . Where was the FP ? At F 8 you should have enough DOF to get the whole seal sharp over that shooting distance.

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Andreas. The FP was right on the nose. What do you suggest to get the most detail out of the fur.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, love the pose and eye contact from the Seal. The Seal pops nicely from the distant sea BG, and I like the bits of moss on the rock.