Thread: Badger

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Badger

Attached Images Attached Images

Monopod Canon 1DX Canon 24-105 mm ISO 16000 1/200 sec f4 (yes far to slow shutter speed!)
    this is a case of work in progress, I have managed to save 3 images only due to the far from ideal lighting conditions. Hopefully we can improve and also get the ISO down. There were very few opportunities when the badger actually paused and raised it head so not many images were taken as I knew they just would not be sharp enough. this isn't as sharp as I would like it but it is a little more interesting pose than one just sniffing.
    I exposed some at neutral exposure and some at -1/3, it was surprising how the light varied and this image was a bit overexposed on the head. I did all sorts of versions and I am not entirely happy with any to be honest but i thought I would post this because I cannot recall seeing any badger shots. There was no disguising the artificial lighting so I made a vignette.
    This version was with DPP and PSCC 2018

I await your verdict!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Jon,

This chap looks so different from my Kalahari ones, such a cute looking fellow - never seen a European Badger before so very pleased to find this image from you tonight, thank you!

I agree, not enough SS (although I notice the subject's head is quite sharp), sadly the white stripe on the forehead lacks detail. Did you use Matrix/Evaluative metering?

Vignette does not bother me as such, I just find it a bit too dark. The overall feeling as I am viewing this is "too contrasty". And I think there might be a slight blue cast on the badger, just check?

Been doing some reading on the species tonight and realise this is a nocturnal animal, so quite a challenge to photograph. With practice you will make it perfect, I am sure Really hope you have more opportunities in the future, you have the skills as well as gear so all you need is some decent time with this little fella... I cannot wait to see more

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ...first of all congrats to get this badger photographed .
    So i am quite happy to see an image of that species . I do agree with you that it is not the best in terms of tech and the pose of the subject , but for sure a great experience for you.
    So keep going for that guy and you will be rewarded if you have the patience .
    Wonder how you get that close to the badger ? Is it baited ? Have you been in a hide ? As far as i know they are quite shy.
    What was the lighting ? Spotlight ? Off set flash ?

Thanks for additional info

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I'd be interested to know what the lighting was here Jon. Given the circumstances, I think the image is very good. Missing detail in the head stripe is, I'm guessing, due to the over-exposure and that it was too far gone in that part to recover any detail. Otherwise, the tones look nicely rendered and that's always a challenge with black and white subjects like this. WB looks quite good also. Motion blur on the foot as it scratches is good and I think adds to the shot. One advantage of a low shutter speed. I think your vignette works too. Overall, I'd be pretty happy with this if it was mine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi folks thanks for the feedback, I am pleased you thought it wasn't too bad. I don't know if I will be able to get any more images this year, I will have to see if it is practicable or not. The badgers are wild of course and they have been tempted close to the hide using peanuts and peanut butter was smeared into cracks in various logs. I photographed them on two occasions, the first time I rampted up the shutter speeds but I was not at all happy with the image quality. The lighting is floodlights and it is rather harsh I am hoping we will be able to make it more even and less harsh. The white fur was well exposed some times and less so others, small changes both the angle of the badger to the lights and the distance to the lights made very big differences. Needless to say the best poses were the least favourably exposed! The set up is not mine but I have been making suggestions on improvement, I don't think I am really at liberty to be placing flash guns in various positions just yet. I have a couple more which I will post.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon thanks for the additional info , no chance to get them at low light ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon thanks for the additional info , no chance to get them at low light ?
    I doubt it, they arrive briefly about 60 min after dusk then disappear and reappear sometime about 60 min later again. We were hoping to get a family but only one at a time, they were pretty nervous. The set up should have given some good images walking along a tree trunk but I think they forgot to read the script.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I have only ever had a fleeting view of a badger as it ran away so I am jealous of your sighting and that you got any images. I didn't realize the European badgers were so dark/black. I think you did well under the described circumstances. You just need to pay them more to get them to walk along the tree trunk. I hope it happens for you. If a subject is baited, please don't forget to indicate it in your op.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, well you already know my thoughts, but kudos it getting this. I might have pegged the exposure back re the whites on this occasion and gone darker to stop blowing ANY whites, as the 1DX has a bit more to it in the shadows so you could 'lift' them, but not quite as good as the MK2 Certainly you have about a stop to play with on the MK2. Lighting is not great, but that's the set-up. Overall you should be pleased to get what you did and here, with the low SS I quite like the motion blur in the scratching rear leg.

If you get another chance or two, then I think it might be worth exploring what I suggested, could be fun.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John all the luck with this. not ideal them not being utterly yours but all the luck. I adore mustelidea this is a subject that one day when I have time I must chase. john if they favour the grub and peanuts are said to be up there,then time will be a player to get them really chilled. it can be done though but it takes alot of time.

I thought this might be the first time I've seen brock posted here, i love the scratching pose. I've read all comments can't really add or muse much photographically( buddy I am at a loss I have never taken any images really of our natives outside under lights). No great desire for flash either really despite our light so oft being less than desired.

Just huge wishes of luck for you really fascinating to read Jon, it is a subject I'd love to spend time with again so the details relating to capture interest me deeply.

Gabriela hey mate they aren't totally nocturnal,We've bumped into a few now at noon midday or there abouts. It's not usual behaviour, probably late back from a party, but you can get to them in the long summer eves here. Their kids playing is something to cherish !! But get the wind right be quiet and one can be good very close.They have a rep like most badgers but they won't harm if given a path away

How are they reacting to the shutter Jon? That would be my fear. With enough time brock must be very special to make images of, I can't wait to see how you fare. It's finding a set where it's light enough late in the summer if this doesn't fare well. Worth looking for Jon I'd love a crack at brock oneday

please share more

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu the trick is to let the badgers commence feeding for a few minutes then I use single shot silent mode (not that it makes much difference on a 1DX) just a couple of tentative shots and see if there is a reaction then after that you are OK. If you don't let them settle initially though you've had it off they go.
    The lighting has been modified but I am going to see if I can get it remodified, it's not my set so I cannot afford to rock the boat but they are receptive to feedback.