Thread: Dunlin

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dunlin

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image a few days ago at Sandy Hook, NJ. C&C welcome.

D500, Nikon 500mm f/4G + 1.4 TC, 1/3200s, f 6.3, ISO 2500, Gitzo, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Handsomely captured. I was sitting closer to the water than you were, and when he suddenly walked right in front of me - almost into me - I clipped his legs. This is a 1st winter bird. This species begins it's molt prior to leaving the northern breeding grounds, so a full juvenile plumage is rarely seen here. Artie, in his informative "Shorebirds: Beautiful Beachcombers" states that "In first winter plumage, a few anterior scapulars, fringed reddish-orange, are retained at least through early fall." This is illustrated very nicely in your image. My only wish would be for a slightly cleaner beach, but that's the problem with Sandy Hook.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully captured I like the pose and the natural settings.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot! The whole bird is in focus and the shells on the beach don't bother me; that's how it normally looks in nature! I might clone or spot-heal those one or two little white dots on the bird's bill, but everything else looks good to me.

Jake

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, beautiful little bird, really nice image. Nice colors, sharp detail, perfect background... thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Handsomely captured. I was sitting closer to the water than you were, and when he suddenly walked right in front of me - almost into me - I clipped his legs. This is a 1st winter bird. This species begins it's molt prior to leaving the northern breeding grounds, so a full juvenile plumage is rarely seen here. Artie, in his informative "Shorebirds: Beautiful Beachcombers" states that "In first winter plumage, a few anterior scapulars, fringed reddish-orange, are retained at least through early fall." This is illustrated very nicely in your image. My only wish would be for a slightly cleaner beach, but that's the problem with Sandy Hook.
    Hey Bill, I have not seen one of these in years. Actually, this bird is pretty much a worn juvenile. The only first winter molt (if any) might be on the very upper back ... None of the coverts or tertials are molted (as they usually would be). Thanks for the http://birdsasart-shop.com/shorebird...-beachcombers/http://birdsasart-shop.com/shorebird...-beachcombers/ mention :) My first book.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, Beautiful bird, well photographed. I'd spend about an hour on beach clean-up :(

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colours Geoffrey. The details on the bird really shine against that BG. Very nice.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments. Bill, thanks for all the research you put in, and Artie for your input. In light of your description Artie, would you be able to change the prefix to Theme for me? Thank you in advance.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu