Thread: Whitetail Fawn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Fawn

Attached Images Attached Images

From about a month ago caught this fawn feeding atop of a small pond. A bumble bee is flying right in front of the fawn's chest. Image was made about half before sunset. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 1600
    f6.3
    1/1000sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- Lovely warm light and i liked that tongue sticking out ! personally i would have gone for more space in the direction it is looking and at the same time cropping from the RHS so that the cluttered BG is also eliminated . Also i feel the reds and yellows are bit strong and hence the finer details are missing from the subject. I would have also loved some more space at the bottom of the frame for those virtual legs . A nice image though .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I agree with Haseeb, try a crop 10x8 from the LHS and loose what there is of the RHS, you can work it using Rule of Thirds, it works nicely. Although not clipped the Blacks and shadows to me look hefty, easing them helps and lightens the image. Like the look back and the visible tongue, ditto POV, although I would loose the grass highlight at the rear. 1/1000ss is about right, but as presented the image requires more 'perceptual' sharpening I feel.

Questions:
    Do you use only the centre focus point, and or re compose or move them around?
    Do you add Black, Contrast & Clarity and if so are they in large or small amounts?
    Do you apply a lot of Saturation or is it minimal?
    How do you sharpen via LR as I assume you Export from LR?

Just trying to pin point certain areas which I feel might be adding to your images and if those are addressed I think the images could be improved via the workflow.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, I move the focus points round. I add black, contrast and clarity in small amounts. I don't apply any saturation. I sharpen with the detail panel in Lightroom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK John, that's a great help. LR and Canon IMHO add Contrast quietly (well I know LR does), and if you compare a Nikon file with a canon they are poles apart, Nikon being much cleaner, that why folk need to learn how to control Contrast. I'm just trying to ascertain why the postings therefore look very rich/saturated, even taking into account the time of day and the darks.

I add black, contrast and clarity in small amounts.
    What version are you running of LR and what would be 'small amounts 5-8, 20-30...?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, I don't know what version of Lightroom i am running. Small amounts would be 5-8.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know what version of Lightroom i am running.
    Click on the top left menu bar that says Lightroom > about LR then it will pop up with the version.

OK the amount is not excessive, early versions like 3 or 4 you were along the lines of 20-30 for the amounts.

I sharpen with the detail panel in Lightroom.
    That is only for 'in-put' sharpening, if you are then Exporting via LR then you need to set the relevant boxes under EXPORT for output i.e. location, file settings, image sizing etc. My guess is that this is probably why the image doesn't look sharp as per your postings, thats providing the raw is sharp . I know the input amounts for my images, but that has been built up over time and the files, you need to get those right, then Export will do the right job.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the near eye level perspective here John and the lighting is lovely. I'll leave the tech advice to Steve, but for me there are a couple of points to pick up on. Firstly I would have preferred the Fawn to have been further over to the right i the shot. The look back, for me anyway, means I'd have preferred the negative space behind her. I'd also be tempted to clone the bumble bee out of the shot - its more of a distraction here. Maybe if it was near her head and she was looking at it it would be a bonus.

I do like the tongue part of the pose and the alert raised ears.

Mike

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - I'm going to leave it to Steve to get you sorted on the various LR settings. I agree with the others about moving the fawn more to the right in the frame. I also would have shifted the whole comp down a little giving it a little more space below and less above.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John i like the golden light and the pose of the fawn .
    I do agree with the others about the placement of the subject , overall a tiny bit too saturated for me .You have lost some detail in the red channel , check while shooting in those light conditions the red channel on your camera back
    The red channel is completely blown in the HL ...i tried to get some from the green channel , but does look not perfect .
    The legs do need a bit more space , i think.
    TFS Andreas