Thread: Whitetail Buck in velvet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Buck in velvet

Attached Images Attached Images

This buck is starting to lose his summer coat. His winter coat will be more brown and earth colored then the orange/red of his summer coat. Image was made in early morning before sunrise. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    275mm
    ISO 4000
    f6.3
    1/250sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John - The comp is nice with good room below this time. In an ideal world the grass would continue into the top right corner. I adjusted the WB and then gave the midtones of the deer a bit more pop. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, have you made/tried any of the changes within the LR workflow I suggested, or is this as per you normal workflow?

Like Rachel, I feel having more of the grass as the backdrop would have been better and so moving to your right may have helped??? With regard to the colour, I prefer the OP for overall colour, I find yours Rachel going too Blue in the Greens, but with some simple refinements within the 'colour management' of LR, you can bring a bit more depth back into the coat adding some more depth.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Rachel, Thanks for the critique. The repost you did looks blue and brighter. Did you add more exposure?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, I did exactly as you said with my Lightroom workflow in the previous post of mine. Thanks again.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - No exp adjustments, just tweaked the WB and then the midtones to the buck only with a curves layer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, I did exactly as you said with my Lightroom workflow in the previous post of mine. Thanks again.
    Sorry John, I'm not that clear on your reply. Are you saying the OP is as per your normal workflow, or that the OP has a change to it within your WF and if so, what did you change, did it help?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, sorry about the wording. I changed the camera profile in the OP to neutral. I used your suggestion from the whitetail fawn thread. Where you mentioned creating virtual copies and changing the profile in the camera calibration section of the develop module.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, the reason for creating a virtual copy is so you will always have the 'original' for comparison and are able to see and note the changes/differences. Do you think it has helped and so you now have a better platform in which to then make the required additional changes i.e. WB, Exposure, Colour etc?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, Yes it has helped especially with the color. Thanks again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John these deer and your field craft are something to behold good for you sir!! Seriously john it's really inspiring watching your images. Genuine wild deer not shot from car windows but stalked on foot have to be up there as hard to get close too subjects,especially if in number.

Two things from a laymanthat honestly grab me even at thumbnail stage. one is pov almost all look like you are looking down like a high seat image ?? (do your deer stalkers use high seats,does this translate?)
    second is saturation although I realise this is being worked on with progress it would be wrong for me to overlook this as it really does grab me.

These are minor things John,what is wonderful is your ability and knowledge with these deer. With this skillset you will keep getting images and that means you will continually progress. Please please keep pushing those abilities and posting mate,you have the best advice here to move forwards with . It's really inspiring watching you even though I've had to take a bit of a back seat of late I have been watching John. !!

all the luck

stu

12. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stuart, i am not up high for these images this buck is on a hill i am shooting up the hill at him.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Thank you Stuart, i am not up high for these images this buck is on a hill i am shooting up the hill at him.
    John after posting I kept looking there is an image here(another buck I think?) where you are real low, lying down or prone as we call it. I almost wanted to take back this comment right then. But, maybe because I so often make image from the floor especially the deer here and hares,I got this wrong as I'm so used to that really low view point. Mind what I said about your field craft stands mate,it rocks and truly is inspiring for me.

take care

stu