Thread: American Pelicans - THEY'RE BACK!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Pelicans - THEY'RE BACK!

Attached Images Attached Images

Always like to shoot the American Pelicans when they arrive for a short while here in Northern California. Found them the other day and, though it was overcast decided I'd give it a go. Got a good couple passes before the sun bid farewell. Accidentally it my SS control on the way; 1/4000 was not a target setting :)... but... it was what it was. Gotta watch that!

D500+Sigma 500/4, f4, 1/4000, ISO 450, HH, CS6 NR (Neatphoto)
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 08-04-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, There are a few things that look off to me the whites for one seem to be way to grey especially on the neck and the BG has so many distracting
    things going on the Blue band and some of the white elements. If you could remove those or tone them down I think it would help a lot.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, Though I do not mind the blue band I agree with everything else that Tim said. In addition, there was some sun as there are shadows on both underwings. Fully overcast would have been much better. In addition to the whites being grayed out, the belly looks crunchy as if over-sharpened or too much Detail Extractor. And it looks as if the sharpest focus was on the side of the bird rather than on the eye.

Get out there on a cloudy day and make some more!

with love, artie on the way to the Galapagos
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.