Thread: Down in the reeds with a common loon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Down in the reeds with a common loon

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was captured last week in northern Michigan. The adult was taking a bit of a break from the non stop feeding of the juvi.

D500 600VR f/7.1 1/1250s ISO 500. Pedestal mounted in the bottom of my little boat, Loonie Too!

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 07-17-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Please invite me on your boat!!! I love this close up view of this beautiful loon. Details and exposure are perfect. And that green water takes this over the top. I think I would clone out that reddish blob above the birds head. Would also try and remove that horizontal reed that cuts into the birds head. They draw my eye a bit from that perfect loon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet! The bkg reeds are nice but I'd somehow like them softened - but still, just love it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super-sharp and a sweet setting. The face looks a bit jangly to me -- possibly over-sharpened just a bit, or too many small specular highlights. I would lose the reddish blob. I tried but failed with a Gaussian blur on the background. with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

what a pov, love this, love the greens everywhere, especially the neck. Water drops are lovely. I think maybe a slight ccw rotation, (I'm following the horizontal ripple on the right, or should i be looking at the base of the bird?) I agree with losing the reddish blob. Super nice... What is the slight "blackish" shadowy lines throughout the reeds? Also see some ?specular shapes too? Is that posterization? I see this in my images from time to time and would like to learn... If this was my frame i'd throw a party! And if you invite Isaac, make room for me too!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image my only criticism is that red blob, otherwise I think it is excellent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments, The blob is a water lily flower, partially open, but I do see how it can be distracting. I so like this location because of the flowers and reeds, which give so many options for backgrounds, not just plain water!

Artie: the bird had just popped up out of the water from fishing, and did have lots of fine specular reflections from the water. Very modest sharpening was used

The D500 produces very sharp files, and I am sharpening less than with the D4, my workhorse for many years now.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image, love those deep green and soft reeds, nice detail and sharpness in the loon. i also would delete the red spot, and the shadow on the wing has a purple hue on my screen. i too want to go in your boat haha

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the low angle and green environment in this one Randy you nailed it, much sharper than the other photo to my eye

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog