Thread: Waxwing :Bombycilla garrulus the berry toss

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Waxwing :Bombycilla garrulus the berry toss

Attached Images Attached Images

Some of you might have read my earlier post. My first time ever seeing these birds,a childhood dream come true. I simply didn't know they did this ,but once spotted it became a must have to try and capture. This I feel is my best attempt,so hard to nail the shutter press at just the right time,that berry isn't in the air long at all. Ok it's actually a hip from our native dog rose,utterly incredible what thee birds can eat size wise their gape is amazing

An urban BKG for this one,I suppose with PS I might just remove those twigs around the head ,but beyond that I'm quite happy with how the tangle is set in the image.

Canon 1Div 300 f2.8 is 1.4extiii hand held full frame 1/8000 f5.6 iso 1600 Processed in DPP4 ,no access to PS at this time.

Cheers for the thoughts on my previous waxy,i'm still very much bewildered by finally seeing them and what happened next,he he I've been smiling for days

take care

Stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, kudos big time and now I understand why you were jumping up & down, beaming from ear to ear.

Over the last few months you have put into practice what a lot of folk have said to you across ALL Forums - ETL, Avian & Wildlife and with limited time and resources built up your knowledge and implemented it as best you can and that is a big testimony to you, very well done!!!

OK, the SS is perhaps a tad high, but you nailed it, with sharpness. Yes, it's not a nice clean backdrop, but this is where our birds live and feed, but you have kept the head clear of the branches with a very nice behavioural image. I'm not as equipped as the Avian bods are in feedback, so hopefully others will chime in.

Personally I might just lighten the image by a thirds of a stop and use that Eyedropper to help on the colour, but it is reasonably well exposed and the sharpness is only down to your end product for posting, that hopefully will come in time. Some stuff you can I feel crop out at the foot & RHS but that is just cosmetic.

Well done.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose you caught here of one of my favorite birds. Love the tilted back head and the berry that is in mid air.

I think your white balance is off. These are dusky gray birds with deep orange under tail coverts and foreheads. Bird here is far too brown. Background has an odd yellow cast.
    Overall I find the shot flat and lacking the pop that I would expect from the red berries and such a striking bird. It is too dark as well.
    I wish you did not have such a steep shooting angle and also that the bird was not inside the twigs and have some covering it.
    I would clone out that seed pod on the far right of the shot.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve kind words ,too kind really,a great debt is owed by me to many here,especially you thanks bro. I know I'm not there yet mate techs are still weak, but such joy to finally see them after wanting too nearly all my life and to have some pictures is really more than I could ask. I'll look at the points you have mentioned esp exposure and WB.

Isaac, need to dig a bit more maybe I am already there, but instantly I owe you an apology, as I should have given you more details:

I'm in blighty ie England UK,I normally pop the UK in my headings but forgot. I also didn't realise it would be significant but it might just be...... Your garrulus is a different subspecies to ours ours is the nominant yours is pallidiceps. While I take on board my WB may well be off,the minute you said these are dusky grey birds you had me searching something is afoot ! Images on google of american birds are just what you say,but ours are a sort of pale peach colour the other markings seems to tie in but that base colour betwixt the two subspecies seems different.

Isaac I am unsure, I haven't had enough time to reseach this properly, but at this time I feel we look at slightly different birds. The odd yellow cast is magnolia render ,it's the side of a house Isaac,I should have been way more specific with these details because obviously it's info you need to assess things,my bad!!

Points about being too dark/flat and lacking pop taken on board plus pov,I don't know whether I yet have the ability to address all these mate, but I'm incredibly grateful for your time and thoughts . i'm also grateful as your comments have also given me a little more education on this bird we both adore I didn't know anything about subspecies thought Bohemians were all the same,but now I'm not so sure

Many thanks (Steve sorry brief rushing hope you understand)

Cheers both

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, Well done mate on getting this image. I know the BG is a wee bit busy, but hey, thats what they do and where they do it. Its getting better all the time

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Stu, as I said, a third of a stop, teak the WB and then add a bit of saturation and I think you're there, cropping optional.

Its getting better all the time
    I second that Will.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both

Yes much better Steve ,cheers for the repost as always hugely informative for me, Steve eyedropper on base of beak light area? Would there be a preference between that and the white wing markings,if so why?

Will, (oh mate, sorry for the Bill's the other night tired Stu and letters is an accident waiting to happen) I sort of like the au natural of it, the tangle, but find shooting urban strange, UGG !! Houses for bkg's Will ,makes one shudder. The joy of this chance was being able to follow them when not feeding that's where the more pleasing BKG's will lie.

Take care both

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve eyedropper on base of beak light area? Would there be a preference between that and the white wing markings,if so why?
    Stu, to be exact I would need to see the RAW and then offer the reasons why. Have dropped you a line, but I think you need to re read things to understand why, that should answer things hopefully????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, to be exact I would need to see the RAW and then offer the reasons why. Have dropped you a line, but I think you need to re read things to understand why, that should answer things hopefully????
    Steve think I'm there,cheers for pm. I actually prefer the colour temp slider most of the time, as I find the eye dropper can make things a bit sterile,robbing me of warmth that was there when the shot was taken. My pref is base of beak it's the most erm "neutral" I can't think of a better way to put it. These urban BKG's are throwing me a bit Steve,You've taught me all this ,sorry buddy ,bit fried last night grueling week!!

Many thanks I'm slowly working on a repost,having yours to muse is a real asset

Stu