Thread: Juvenile Jacana

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Jacana

Frame I shot at a lagoon in Costa Rica last week really tried to work it with the lilies. Canon 5DIV,600II+1.4. ISO 800,f6.3@ 1/3200sec. Converted in DPP resized sharpened in PS. Thanks for looking and any input.

Name:  A98A7015.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  292.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, very sharp and colorful shot, nice HA too… seems it needs some rotation clockwise if you go by the water as being level.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,

Impressive detail and sharpness on the bird, and just enough depth of field to have the bird all in sharp focus but not the lily flowers which would otherwise be significant distractions. Personally I wouldn't suggest rotating the image - the lily flowers themselves define the vertical and things would not look right if they were tilted. I think the impression of sloping water is just an illusion caused by sloping lines going from foreground off to the right and into the OOF background. I reckon the two side-by-side lily pads in the foreground define the water surface which to me looks level as it should be.

Cheers, David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail and colours ,relaxed head turn looks really good,interesting reading re rotation but go along with the lily stems.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Seymour View Post
    Hi Joe,

Impressive detail and sharpness on the bird, and just enough depth of field to have the bird all in sharp focus but not the lily flowers which would otherwise be significant distractions. Personally I wouldn't suggest rotating the image - the lily flowers themselves define the vertical and things would not look right if they were tilted. I think the impression of sloping water is just an illusion caused by sloping lines going from foreground off to the right and into the OOF background. I reckon the two side-by-side lily pads in the foreground define the water surface which to me looks level as it should be.

Cheers, David
    David, I totally disagree with lining up an image because you prefer the flowers to be vertical, if you look at the stems orientation in the reflection the flowers are flowing the sun and the pads clearly show the water is not level.

Regards Tim

6. Thanks David Seymour thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appealing habitat you this one in. I also love the ruffled feathers. A couple of small yellow "streaks" I could live without (one touching the left stem, and another touching the right flower), but overall pretty good. I could go for a bit of rotation, at least that was my first impression. Colours and details are perfect. Very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi again Joe,

Tim has managed to convince me on this - I hadn't picked up on the angled reflection of the right-hand lily, which as Tim notes indicates the stems are following the sun and aren't vertical. A quick experiment suggests a clockwise rotation of around 3 degrees might be needed (thanks Tim).

Cheers, David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input guys!