Thread: ICONS of AFRICA !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default ICONS of AFRICA !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone !

Thank you for all your comments on my previous post .

Here is another image for this months theme. Ever since I had started watching wildlife documentaries and especially of African continent , the one thing I relate it with is the Acacia tree and the lion . They are synonymous when African wildlife is discussed , one can pictures these two easily . I took this image from some distance , hence some atmospheric haze is also evident and also the light was getting harsh. I had this picture in mind before the trip and was glad to get one .

Would love to have your honest opinion on the same .

DPP 4 , CS6, curves , HSL , clarity,gradient filter, opened the shadows slightly , one round of NR on the BG , added slightest of canvas at the foot of the frame . cropped from top for comp . selectively sharpened the lioness and the tree .

1/5000 sec; f/11; ISO 1000

Canon 5D MK III , Canon 500mm f4 IS II with 1.4 x T.C. HH .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This certainly has some merit here Haseeb, but IMO is crying out for more lower room, and would like to see another inch or cm of landscape added, IF your PP skills and ethics allowed. I'm wondering why you didn't frame this lower initially?
    The overall composition is very nice and this also has possibilities for a mono conversion as well, nicely seen.

TFS

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc -- I agree with you on more space at the bottom, but while framing I misjudged this aspect for more room at the bottom as i thought keeping only the two i.e. the tree and the lioness without providing any space at the bottom would make for a very different perspective , tried to break the rules !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

Typical African scene, how lovely:)
    I tend to agree with Marc' comments above, in the same breath I wish to congratulate you for thinking out of the box

Just a suggestion and maybe worth a try, how about going more pano by taking off some from the top? There is just too much sky IMO.

On more thing, Haseeb: I have just returned from the garden and busy to extract a thorn from my foot, it comes from an acacia tree...Believe me, they are great to look at, but what a pain to have them around the house

Enjoyed viewing, would like to see some more from you from this trip:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela ! I really appreciate your feedback , and that thought came to me regarding the pano crop but went for the version with more sky , I guess just a personal preference and nothing else .
    And will have to be careful with the acacia's next time i visit Africa !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb I think the finer points have been covered above and only have a very limited knowledge about this type of image which I like a lot,only little though i have is how it would look with the Lion more to the left and nearer the tree,just my personal thing of course,and just wish I had been in a position to take it.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb lovely thinking in the field .... good job on leaving the beaten track .
    I have to agree with the others regarding the bottom space .... sadly . But if you never try ..... you never know .
    Like the position of the two major elements in the image and the sky as backdrop does work as a treat .
    I personally think the image carries too much cyan in the land and subjects , i do also think the shadows are a bit strong and you lost details .
    Why and when in your WF , have you used clarity ? What was your thinking ....?

Nevertheless i like what you did !!!!!!

Keep them coming , TFS Andreas

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done in thinking about this one Haseeb.
    Execution is nearly there, but I have to agree it would have been great to have more space below...
    A great year ahead for you and your photography is my wish for you in 2017!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Great that you got to capture one of your goals and it's nice to see you experimenting too. I also agree with the comments and suggestions above, particularly about the room below and the cyan. Tech wise for this one I would have dropped the ISO and the ss. Looking forward to seeing you experiment a bit more.

TFS,
    Rachel

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You Rachel , Keith,Andreas and Morkel for your comments and wishes , much appreciated !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, agree on all counts above, but I think f/11 is a tad much. Look forward to seeing more.

TFS
    Steve