Thread: Dinner Time

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dinner Time

Attached Images Attached Images

Osprey with a catch. Canon 7d ii 300 with 2 ext ISO 640 f 5.6 SS 1/5000. Comments appreciated

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Moody, this is great action. The techs look good here. I really like that you can see the unlucky fish's eye. Nits from me: it looks like the osprey's head is turning away ever so slightly, the bird looks contrast heavy, there are some heavy blues in the whites (on beak for example). I don't know canon gear, but the image looks overall noisier than I would expect. How are you sharpening your images, i.e. are you sharpening just the bird or also the background?

Hope this helps,
    Alex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Moody. I like the sep between the subject and BG. Love the splash with the fish on the talon. Maybe a wee bit too much contrast on the bird on my screen. Nice one.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much better than your last one!! Love the pose with the hanging foot and the great look at the fish. Very hard to get a natural shot like this so Very well done!!
    Two things I see. One that you can't do anything about. The HA. It isn't perfect, but it could be worse, so I would be happy with this one.
    The other is the noise, which you can do something about. Make sure to only apply NR to the BG and not the bird. Not sure if you have an aftermarket plug in for NR but if you don't, get one. Your 7D images will benefit from it, especially action shots like the last few you have posted.
    Contrast doesn't look to bad to me and the sharpness looks pretty good too. I also like the green on the top of the frame. Well done and keep them coming.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In addition to the points mentioned above I have 2 more suggestions. First, the shot could use some clockwise rotation based on the line where the green meets the blue. Also I find it tight in the frame and would like some more room all the way around, but especially to the right to give it some room to fly into. Also I would clone out the circular patch that is in the bottom of the green and directly above the birds head. Looking forward to more.