Thread: Long Eared Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long Eared Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

From the same perch as the last shot, only after the first one flew off, the other was happy to let me get closer for a better detailed picture... Canon 7Dll with the Canon 100-400ll @ 400 mm, f6.3, 1/160, 1000iso, handheld.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the eye contact. Think I might have tried to pull out the crossing sticks low in front of the bird. TFS

3. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly a stunning owl and image. I personally love the way the sticks cross in front of the owl. The trunk and sticks frame the owl well. I am green with envy and would love to photograph one of these beauties one day.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

5. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

what a handsome owl in an alert pose! the surroundings are a bit cluttered but not much you can do about that, as presented the image is too dark, you need to brighten it by ~1/2 stop at least
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

7. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    what a handsome owl in an alert pose! the surroundings are a bit cluttered but not much you can do about that, as presented the image is too dark, you need to brighten it by ~1/2 stop at least
    Thanks for the tip. I don't know how to tell "stops" but I will try to guess. I would love to hear more opinions on this, it may be one I want to enter in my nature photography club. I also have more shots with less clutter, but I really like the tree in this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, I wasn't too sure while brightening the image, whether I thought it was a good idea or not, but now seeing both on the same page together, I do think the brighter one looks better. thanks! ~MT

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great looking owl and I really like the alert pose. The branches are not ideal but what can you do. The repost is just a little to bright, but close. You could also add some saturation to this one to give it a bit more of a colorful pop.
    After I wrote this I decided to work the image real quick. Removed the lower branch, added a bit of blacks using levels and added some saturation, about 5 points, to give it a bit more color. Hope you don't mind. Nice frame
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    What a great looking owl and I really like the alert pose. The branches are not ideal but what can you do. The repost is just a little to bright, but close. You could also add some saturation to this one to give it a bit more of a colorful pop.
    After I wrote this I decided to work the image real quick. Removed the lower branch, added a bit of blacks using levels and added some saturation, about 5 points, to give it a bit more color. Hope you don't mind. Nice frame
    No, dont mind at all, it is helpful to see what others like instead of trying to figure out what they wrote. Nice job removing the stick, looks perfect.