Thread: Red Kite in low winter sun

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Kite in low winter sun

Hi, i had 360 mile round trip yesterday visiting a Red kite site in Wales ,i only had 30 mins before the sun dipped and in that time i had to capture a bird coming in the right direction and low enough to allow me to attempt for the shot i was looking for ,i just took a gamble and concentrated on the one bird ,anyway i was pretty happy with my outcome ,so it was a visit to the gift shop and then back home ....
    Canon 1d mkiv 500mm f4 at 5.6 iso 800 1/2500 sec +1 and 2/3 EV all pp done in LR and PS
    Name:  Red-Kite-(1-of-1)-5.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  323.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Den,red kites seem to be a subject I want to shoot in sunlight,but that can bring problems with contrast/blown hilights on the head etc.I think this one is just about perfect with the sun being so low the colour is just wonderful Den I like the framing too nice work buddy

Stu

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot, Dennis for the pose alone and the lighting gives great detail without blowing anything out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp with gorgeous light and a lovely top shot (dorsal view) pose. I was there twice about 20 years ago. Both times it was so foggy that I could not see my hand in front of my proverbial face :(

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We don`t often see the dorsal aspect of raptors but this one shows it off beautifully. I would suggest adding a tiny bit of canvas to the bottom to lift the composition even more.