Thread: Mumma and chicks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mumma and chicks

Attached Images Attached Images

Just testing out my new kit at the local waterfront when found a mother masked lapwing guarding her chicks...
    Nikon D5 nikkor 200-500 f5.6
    ISO 900
    460mm 1/1600
    basic adjustments in LR
    small crop

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the new gear. Love the parent and babies all facing about the same way. Nice habitat as well.

Light was not helping here as most of the birds are shaded. Whites on the flanks are too hot and I do not see any details there. Also the blacks on the head are blocked. Picture also looks flat to me as well and does not have any pop meaning the blues of the water and the greens of the plants all look a bit washed out due to the harsh light. The third baby under the parent is not doing you any favors either. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to properly expose a black and white bird in strong light, especially when the sun is not at your back. These types of shots are best in early morning or late evening light in my book. Looking forward to more in softer light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely family shot Julie. Isaac has made some good points although I think your exposure is not far off. Maybe -.6ev would have helped. Keeping the sun behind you is one that I have learned the hard way too and it looks like you could have moved to achieve this. Pop your location in your profile too so we can see where in OZ you are. Exciting getting new kit!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Julie and welcome to BPN. Nice and sharp with a great bird. Isaac's comments were right on. Some NIK Color Efex Pro Detail Extractor on the chicks and the brightest WHITEs on the flanks might help.

I think that you might be able to do more with this image. If you'd like to shoot me the NEF file via a large file transfer service to samandmayasgrandpa@att.net I'd be glad to take a crack at it.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.