Thread: Large Skipper

Jonathan Michael Ashton

Default Large Skipper

Attached Images Attached Images

I know the background isn't up to much but I have posted this image because I have just tried Robert O'Toole's tip for setting the flash gun.
    Canon 20D Canon 100mm macro lens Canon 550EX Gun @1/8 power in manual mode
    ISO 100
    1/250 sec @ f14
    Thanks Robert, you have converted me to manual flash I like the subtle results and freezing of action.
    Jon

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Jonathan,
    Glad to see you putting Robert's advice to work. Lighting is right on..............I can't believe I'm saying this....but a shallower DOF would have probably made it a killer BG also. Digital files are free..........bracket with F stops next time! Mu guess is f8 would have done the trick. Very nicely composed.

Steve Wheeler

Just learning about lighting but this looks SPOT ON to me. I love the DOF you got on the subject and flower... Dunno if a change would've hurt you there or not, but I'd hate to see THAT lost in an effort to get a better BG.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Jon - the lighting has worked well for you!!

Jonathan Michael Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Hi Jonathan,
    Glad to see you putting Robert's advice to work. Lighting is right on..............I can't believe I'm saying this....but a shallower DOF would have probably made it a killer BG also. Digital files are free..........bracket with F stops next time! Mu guess is f8 would have done the trick. Very nicely composed.
    Roman sometimes these Skippers are very obliging and sometimes of course they aren't. I will try to play around a little with apertures but in general I tend to use a small one between F11- F16 in an attempt to maximise DOF.
    BTW After field testing macro lenses I have just ordered a Canon 180mm macro lens so I am hoping the background will start to appear more muted in future.
    (The main reason for the Canon lens being that I can get AF with the canon 1.4TC and thus maximise my working distance when required, I very nearly bought the Sigma 150mm plus 1.4TC, - just hope I have made a correct, if rather expensive, decision!).

Jon