Thread: Male Leopard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

I got really lucky when I when in the Northern part of Kruger earlier this year when I found this Male Leopard. The northern part of the park is very quiet and I had this guy for about 20 minutes all by myself until he moved off into the distance.
    It was really nice for me to see an Leopard I had never seen before as we usually see the same animals because of territorial boundaries.

I like the way he walked up the bank toward me. I like the way the leaf covered part of the eye. This one won't be for everyone as some parts of the image will bug some.

Canon 5D MKIII
    Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS + 2x Ext @ 526mm
    AV f5.6
    TV 1/1250
    ISO 1000
    Exp +0,33

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dumay - Great pov. I love the eye contact and feeling of being stalked by the leopard. For me, the little bush adds to that feeling. Colors and tones look better to me. If it were mine I would burn the twig in the fg so that it does not draw the eye.

TFS,
    Rachel

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the viewpoint of the leopard coming over a rise really adds to the feeling of stalking. I do agree with Rachel about the small twig over its eye - even if you closed out the two small leaves it may add a fair bit.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just to clarify I am fine with the branch by the eye because it adds to the stalking feeling for me. My comments about burning were about the dead twig across the ground in the fg of the image.

Cheers,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dumay -- The framing certainly works , i liked the twig intersecting its eye and a great low POV as well . Yes agree with Rachel on that bright twig in the FG , it should go i think . All in all a very fine Image and I am enjoying this leopard treat from you ,. Keep them coming .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impresive capture of a beautiful leopard. I understand the concern over the green branch covering part of the face. Part of me says it doesn't really matter but another part says I wish it wasn't obscuring the eye.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dumay, you nailed this one and agree with Rachel, the clarity and exposure looks pretty much on 'the money', well done.

Yes, if the head was a fraction lower then perfect, but this is nature and I would be vey happy with this. Nice to see you changing both ISO & DoF, IMHO good call and had made a big difference. Personally I would loose a bit off the top as I feel it would enhance more the stalking looking down POV.
    This to me, is a 'classic' Dumay image, well done in this capture and presentation.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dumay,I'm arguing a bit with myself over that branch,but the feeling of being stalked and as has been said, it is nature, make that a very minor point for me. The conveyance of that feeling that this guys has set his sights on the viewer is slightly unnerving Dumay,but I adore it. That you have conveyed that powerful emotion to me through your image is a thing of beauty Dumay truly,it is a wonderful moment superbly captured. Top drawer Dumay absolutely stunning

Take care

stu