Thread: Cathedral Canada goose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cathedral Canada goose

Name:  96A5903-V.2-cathedral Canada 1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  157.6 KBIn August I was fortunate to get access to an unharvested pea field here on the Fraser R. delta. The harvester had caught fire about 1/3 of the way into the crop and they could'nt get another one in time to get it done. I put out a dozen Canada full body field decoys in a way that put the setting sun ( and light breeze) mostly behind me relative to the decoys and sat down in the amongst the peas in a tall weed patch under my camo poncho. I had 1 1/2 hrs. of 100's of geese ( in groupings of from 1 bird to several dozen) landing right in front of me as well as well as through-out the field. 7DII, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MII, ISO 400, f/8, 1/2000, HH. PP involved a small curves adjustment , some highlights and shadows tweaking, some minor spot and one tree behind the right wing tip removal, and some gentle sharpening and NR, all in Aperture on my Mac.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob:
    Always fun to be in the right place at the right time.

I like the placement in the frame., nice display of far wing. Good catchlight.

The merge of the head with the wing does tend to reduce the visual separation, so that the head isn't as distinct. Hard to avoid in this type of landing pose however.

Some of the cloning work above he right wing is visible, as is a subtle sharpening halo in some areas along the wing edges.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, What a great shot and flight pose, very nice exposure of the head for the circumstances. I do notice there is 2 little white dots to the right of the image nothing bad but it did catch my eye. Overall a very nice shot. TY for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. Beautiful colors. I like the Bg and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and input fellows. Randy I deliberately left the cloning artifacts above the wing in place because I thought that they blended in pretty nicely with the vague OOF BG artifacts elsewhere in the image and just out of curiosity I'm wondering if you think you would have identified them as such if I hadn't mentioned the cloning I did.