Thread: Snow Leopard Dignity (C)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Leopard Dignity (C)

Attached Images Attached Images

Snow Leopard. Canon EF 70-300L on a Canon 7DII. SS 1/800 @ f8, ISO 400. Not cropped much but some work done to obscure the background a bit and a slight vignette to focus attention on the cat's face.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 08-26-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard, is the Wild or Captive, if Captive then you need to add 'C' in the title, I can add this in for you if required.

Thanks
    Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Didn't realize that. It was at the Oklahoma City zoo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard, it might be worth just having a quick read of these two links, as it may help in future postings:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...Net-Guidelines

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...and-Guidelines

I'm currently away and using the laptop, not ideal, but hopefully the feedback is a starting point.

I quite like the 3/4 POV and the regal pose, but I would clone the hint of red brick wall on the bottom trim edge and revisit where you have cloned near the front paw. As I say, I'm on the laptop, but things do look a bit dark albeit I understand the POV of using a vignette, although some black parts appear clipped. Personally upping the WB (slider to the right) brings a bit more warmth to the image and reducing the blue overall does help too IMHO, less cold looking. The image does appear a bit soft, so I would look to applying some more USM, as ALL digital images requires sharpening. Were you shooting through a chain fence or glass, as I think you did well to achieve what you did. Always very helpful in adding as much to the issues you had/faced in capturing the image, so a more 'honed' reply can be done. Techs look good, always try to ensure a high SS wherever possible and don't be afraid to up the ISO, although the 7D isn't that forgiving at high ISO's unless you really nail the exposure.

Don't forget to add: If the image is cropped, any PP work i.e. cloning and any specific questions you may have about the image. Just watch the Watermark doesn't become too big or distracting, a smaller, discreet notice is much appreciated.

Finally Richard, it would be much appreciated if after each time that you post an image, please make an effort to critique 5 images post by others, it will help in the learning process and builds on the community spirt.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 08-26-2016 at 01:33 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all that, Steve. I appreciate the comments about protocol here. Thanks.

Yes it was shot through a chain link fence - you can see some vague remnants of the fence in the background. I have played with much more square crop to eliminate a good deal of the background on left. I may actually prefer that crop. Originally the image was a bit warmer but I shot a Jaguar the same day and had a little trouble telling them apart because of the color. I don't remember for sure but this cat may be a little more tan than most snow leopards.

Compared to a 1Dx (or maybe the newer 5Ds) you may be right about the 7DII, but I came to it from a 50D and high ISO is much improved. I have taken to using it in manual with auto ISO so I can lock down both SS and aperture. I've never done that before the 7DII and it's been very useful.

Thanks again for you comments. I appreciate it very much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Richard, glad the links have helped and also for taking the time to expand on the 'history' of the capture.

Cropping can be quite a personal thing, however try to avoid big crops as the IQ will deteriorate, always try to do as much in camera, leaving some tolerance for final cropping at PP stage. The image IQ will be better and overall you will have a better file to work with. Some Auto ISO can work well, but unless the light is constantly changing I would shoot some test images, check the Histogram and adjust accordingly and ensure you have blown highlights enabled in the camera menu.

Cats may vary in colour, but obtaining a good starting point for the WB I find very useful as you can then tailor to suit, knowing you are on a level playing field.

Daniel C in Avian produces some stunning bird images with the 7D and in good light it can create some stunning images, but getting out there and shooting as much as you can will help in understanding your camera, it's strengths & weakness, plus it has more of a reach compared to FF cameras which you may be helpful?

Photography is a great arena to play in, but sadly I have no idea how far you are on this journey so if I'm 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' please let me know, as it's hard in knowing what kind of feedback/critique you are looking for and if things all make sense.

Have fun and get out there wherever possible, but ultimately have fun.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard, late to the party here and cannot really add to Steve's excellent introduction and thoughtful guidance/comments.
    Thanks for amending to show the captive nature of the animal. We will endeavour to critique all images equally, but you would understand our need to differentiate, especially given the elements that come into play with the challenges of shooting both captive and wild animals.

I like the pose here, and would love to see these animals myself one day.
    Looks like an old cat?
    Please do post more as you explore this exciting genre
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE