Thread: Anhinga & new toy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anhinga & new toy

Attached Images Attached Images

The first shot with my new toy Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM.
    5D3 f5.6 1/640 iso 100 slight crop no extra sharpening.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the new lens. Looks like it's working well. Nice looking frame of this guy with a cool sunning pose. The HA looks good and I like the feather details in the darks. I might add a bit of space on the top but otherwise a pretty solid frame.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp with a neat pose. Is this a crop? The white slash behind the bill looks toasted...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Sharp with a neat pose. Is this a crop? The white slash behind the bill looks toasted...

a
    Artie, 60% of the original image. That overblown white slash is a result of careless PP on my part, will watch that in future. Good detail in the raw image and no blinkies there.

Thanks for the comments Artie and David.
    Last edited by Colin Driscoll; 08-13-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin, What do you use to convert your RAW files?

If you have some room on the top, best to start again and crop wider.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost

Artie, I use DPP4 to start with and finish in Photoshop CC. By no means skilled at either, but do have yours and Ari's DPP guide. Here I have looked after that white slash and given more room at the top.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin. If possible and if you so choose, you can send me the RAW file via a large file transfer service to this e-mail address: samandmayasgrandpa@att.net

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose and the perch. The wider crop works better - I'd like to see more below too but I suspect there may be distractions hidden lower. The contrast is rather strong IMO. Sharp, and perfect head angle for the pose. Congrats on the new lens!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin. I converted the RAW in DPP 4 at about -.17 for Brightness as the WHITEs had some RBG values as high as 254... I try to create my RAW files with the RGB values for the WHITEs in the mid-230s, certainly no higher than the low 240s... Shadows + 3 or 4, Highlights -2.

My bigger issue is why everyone wants to crop so tightly and destroy the image design...

LMK what you think, if you have any questions, and if you want me to shoot you the optimized version.

later and love, artie

ps: I went with NIK 50/50. Should have used 25/25 as it looks a bit crunchy but I most wanted you to see the WHITEs and the crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Artie, most educational. I often have a quandary around the crop between showing as much detail about the bird and including more of the context. Yours is the better choice though. For now I will see if I can reproduce your result in DPP. Haven't used NIK but will check it out, I use Focus Magic but not on this one as I wanted to show it straight out of the lens.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post