Thread: Female Rufous Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Rufous Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this shot in Utah at a humming bird feeder.

I went to a location in Utah where there were reports about large no of Hummingbirds visiting Feeders. It was amazing to see them so up close..

This is one of the several good shots which I took.

Nikon D500, Sigma 150-600mm Sports
    ISO 1250, f/8, 1/4000 sec

Post processing:-
    Increased Exposure, Clarity and Vibrance
    Minimal Cropping

Noise reduction using Neat Image.

Please let me know your feedback on the same.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, Sweet image I would loose the feeder and maybe add a tiny bit of selective sharpening on the body, nice bg.

-Tim

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the feedback. I was trying to remove the feeder from the image, but I was not successful and hence kept it as it is.

I think I did not sharpen the original image in lightroom. I like this one.

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot! Lighting is good, great job of freezing the action, and I like Tim's removal of the feeder.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna...Its easy to remove the feeder by first cropping the image. Then reapply the cropping tool and drag out the right hand side to where you want it. click crop. Select the added canvas
    Now go to edit----fill----content aware...and presto! I use this all the time in PSCC 2015. If you have some other version of PS it might not work
    What are you using to process?

7. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
    Krishna...Its easy to remove the feeder by first cropping the image. Then reapply the cropping tool and drag out the right hand side to where you want it. click crop. Select the added canvas
    Now go to edit----fill----content aware...and presto! I use this all the time in PSCC 2015. If you have some other version of PS it might not work
    What are you using to process?
    Hi Bob,

I am currently using Photoshop elements. I tried Photoshop cc 2015 and was able to use content aware...

Thank you for the your suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, There are lots of ways to skin a cat. I used Divide and Conquer techniques with the Clone Stamp Tool and the Patch Tool. That followed by some regular Clone Stamp Tool work. As the results were a bit lumpy, I applied a 70 pixel Gaussian Blur to the whole image and refined it with a Hide-All mask to smooth out only the right side of the image.

The bird is lovely and sharp and the background is pleasant. I am surprised that nobody mentioned the head angle as the bird's head is angled slightly away from us. Slightly toward us is ideal.

a

ps: if you move up to Photoshop you will surely want to get a copy of my Digital Basics File.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

10. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: the right side of the image in my repost is posterized. I do not believe that that would have happened if I had been working on the TIFF file.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Krishna, There are lots of ways to skin a cat. I used Divide and Conquer techniques with the Clone Stamp Tool and the Patch Tool. That followed by some regular Clone Stamp Tool work. As the results were a bit lumpy, I applied a 70 pixel Gaussian Blur to the whole image and refined it with a Hide-All mask to smooth out only the right side of the image.

The bird is lovely and sharp and the background is pleasant. I am surprised that nobody mentioned the head angle as the bird's head is angled slightly away from us. Slightly toward us is ideal.

a

ps: if you move up to Photoshop you will surely want to get a copy of my Digital Basics File.
    Hi Artie,

Thank you for your feedback.

I purchased your copy of Digital Basics file 4-5 months back and read it. I loved it. Initially I was trying to apply the information for Photoshop Elements which is when I realized my mistake that I should be moving to Photoshop cc. Thank you for sharing your information with us.

I am going to read it multiple times. I will switch over to Photoshop cc in the coming days.

Thank you for mentioning about Bird's head angled slightly away. This was my first shoot of Humming birds in Utah.

I will keep your feedback in mind and try to get it right next time.

Thanks
    Krishna

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna. You are welcome. You are a good man, and thanks for your purchase.

a