Thread: Double-crested Cormorant with white crests raised

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Double-crested Cormorant with white crests raised

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created This image was created in San Diego last February with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and the mega mega-pixel Canon EOS 5DS R. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stops as framed: 1/125 sec. at f/8. AWB.

Center AF point (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure; the selected AF point fell on the side of the bird’s neck just rear of the base of its bill. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Eastern birds of this species have crests in breeding plumage, but they are–for the most part–black. Each year when I visit San Diego we manage to find a killer bird or two in full breeding plumage with the white crests.

I would love to hear what you think of this image, especially with regards to sharpness.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A handsome specimen. Wish we had these white-crested ones in the east. Well exposed in whites and blacks, and I love the colors. The eye looks razor-sharp to me, where it counts most. A bit less head turn, or more DOF, might have rendered the bill a bit sharper.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a great looking cormorant. Really wish we got them looking like that in NY. Considering SS of 1/125 and using a 2x it is crazy sharp. However I do think you have posted sharper images.

I have another framing question. The eye on this bird is certainly left of center in the frame. This is the type of image where I (not saying this is the right thing to do) would always take some of the dead space from the right and give more on the left for the bird to look into. Could you explain why it is cropped this way. I have much to learn...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose and details, sharp. I love the BG too. HA is great. The tip of the bill is running out of DOF I may try to selectively sharpen it a tad more like this. would come out much better starting from RAW

Name:  Double-crested-Cormorant--with-white-crests-raised-_T0A7217-La-Jolla,-CA.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  279.6 KB
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks good to me really pops

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Handsome repost Arash, the gorgeous bird pops with that specific sharpening, fantastic!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

what an beautiful portrait is this ..... Arthur loved it all the way..... No word to say. just fantabulous ....

TFS,
    Ritesh.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I have another framing question. The eye on this bird is certainly left of center in the frame. This is the type of image where I (not saying this is the right thing to do) would always take some of the dead space from the right and give more on the left for the bird to look into. Could you explain why it is cropped this way. I have much to learn...
    Hi Isaac, In an ideal world, I might have focused and re-framed to move the bird back in the frame just a bit. But being on the precarious edge of sharpness because of the relatively slow shutter speed and another factor that will be revealed on the blog soon, I wanted to be sure to have AF active at the moment of exposure. And don't forget that with the 5DS R at f/8 with the 2X TC, I was limited to the center AF point... "Center AF point (by necessity)"

Thus, the image design was determined by the situation.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great looking portrait you have here. A classic Arthur Morris frame. Love the raised crests and the sweet details and exposure. Very nice and printable.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com