Thread: How many eyes?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default How many eyes?

Attached Images Attached Images

I spent a terrific 10 days in Iceland. What a great place! Actually ran into Bill Dix and Geoffrey Montagu on the ferry. Wonderful to meet you guys!
    We had a fair bit of rain but managed 3 days of glorious weather. If you plan a trip to Iceland I would recommend staying an extra day in every spot to allow for the weather.
    This is the "classic" portrait puffin with fish that is often seen and posted but it is "MY" classic portrait!! I like the lone shrimp amongst the other fish.
    Canon 1DX
    600mm and 2X convertor.
    taken at ~ 7:00PM in the evening.
    95% FF.
    ISO 1000 F 10 SS 1/1250
    Minimal PP: Cropped, cloned out 1 dust spot in LUC.
    Usual sliders in LR 6 including clarity +8 saturation +4, levels in PS5 and DE in NIK at 1%. Sharped JPEG with USM at 25% radius 0.3

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

I would be proud of this one too! The shrimp really adds some extra interest! I love the forms/texture in the bill as well.

I might be tempted to do just a bit of darkening of the pupil to make it stand out a bit more from the reflection.

Well framed.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am up to seven on the eyes... lovely image. Outstanding portrait with the bird, fish, and shrimp. Nice detail, HA, and background. I do not know the bird well so take this for what it is worth... if the area around the eye as it merges with the black is supposed to be white, then the white is greying. Thank you for sharing, Gail.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    I am up to seven on the eyes... lovely image. Outstanding portrait with the bird, fish, and shrimp. Nice detail, HA, and background. I do not know the bird well so take this for what it is worth... if the area around the eye as it merges with the black is supposed to be white, then the white is greying. Thank you for sharing, Gail.
    Hi Joe,
    The area is indeed greyish in real life.
    Randy- I think that is an excellent suggestion and I am going back to the file "tout de suite". Thanks,
    Gail

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful colours and details, it can be tempting to over saturate some colours but I like these.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 07-22-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail how did it manage to keep the shrimp then fill it's beak with all those small fish? something that always puzzles me.Anyway back to this smashing Puffin portrait the colours look spot on to me and you have some excellent feather detail,very nice indeed.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail. Great job on this classic portrait. Terrific detail and exposure, and fish. The shrimp got the place of honor in that orange spot. And I love that blue color in the bg. What fun to run into you on the ferry, and to finally connect a face to the name. Sounds like your trip was as rewarding as ours. Yes, Iceland is a magical place, and good advice to add some extra days. We were pretty lucky with the weather, but did some shooting in the rain, and in some howling winds on top of the cliff. I wish I had an answer to Keith's question, which has bugged me as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Gail. I like the pose, IQ, details, BG and composition. I counted 9 visible eyes.
    Last edited by Jim Crosswell; 07-22-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A classic portrait indeed. They are such curious looking birds. Love the odd shrimp out. The colours and detail of the feathers and bill is amazing. I reckon he would be carrying close to 12 fish/shrimp.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's one of the shots checked off the list that you go to Iceland for. Very nice color and details and I really like the ocean color too. The textures of the beak and face are awesome and it looks like f10 covered everything well. Great looking portrait Gail. I count 11 eyes including the Puffins. Look forward to more from your trip.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the head shot with the assortment of the fish and shrimp, quite a seafood platter. Everything is well done, colors look touch muted on my screen you may want to touch it up a tad
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another winner great details

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic portrait. Great detail and color. I see eleven eyes including the Puffin's.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good morning, Gail. What a striking portrait, and to have captured the shrimp with the fish is indeed "YOUR" classic portrait. Great detail and spot on exposure. Just great fun running into you on the ferry. Wonderful to meet you as well.
    I also agree with your advice on extending your stay at least an extra day at each location.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Gail, what a beauty you captured! The exposure is right on, and the colors are accurate and i believe don't need to be more saturated... I count eleven eyes as well. I really like the shrimp and the eye has a wonderful catchlight and reflection. looking forward to more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have captured the essence of amazing nature's design. Well done Gail!