Thread: White-eyed Vireo

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-eyed Vireo

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I would liked to have used a faster SS and F/8 but I had to go with what was possible before the bird took flight. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
    1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering +1 EV ISO 5600 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With the Moderators permission I would like to post this also, I think the HA is better in this image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Before I comment on either, I have a two questions: was AF active at the moment of each exposure (AF- with Nikon) or were you using the Nikon equivalent of Canon's One-shot, AF-s?

Was AF set the same for the two images?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, the autofocus was active. It was Nikon's Continuous Autofocus ( Cannon A1 Servo, I think). Below are screen captures of the autofocus points.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks and go figure. The AF system clearly failed in the bottom screen capture which was the original post (Pane #1). It performed well in the upper screen capture (the follow-up image in Pane #2.)

There is a huge ton of learning from the stuff that you posted so here I go:

#1: Though I have never used a monopod I do not understand why folks would use them for bird photography as they move along with our natural movements including breathing... I know that I cannot stand still even when I try. Good that you kept AF active while on a monopod--that is a huge lesson for folks who hand hold intermediate or super-telephotos... Understand that sports photographers using monopods with big glass are always working with active tracking AF; the monopods help them by supporting the weight of the big lenses.

#2: I think in this case with 1/500 sec. that you would have been fine hand holding.

#3: Notice that with the larger crop in the lower screen cap that visible noise is increased tremendously. The more you crop the more noise you get to enjoy.

#4: As for the original post (Pane #1) the crop is too large and the bird is too big in the frame. The eye is not at all sharp. The schmutz at the top of the bill is very distracting. The head angle is poor as it it turned away from us.

#5: Even though it is still a relatively large crop, the follow-up image in Pane #2 is far better. It is sharper by a mile and the IQ is acceptable. Nice job on the BKGR clean-up. I would have gone with a bit more room above and in front of the bird thus yielding a more pleasing, less tight image design and even better IQ. In general, most bird photographers are crop happy.

#6: When folks see the active AF point on the bird's eye and note that the eye is not even close to sharp, they are quick to exclaim, "Lousy camera." I am more prone to think operator error. I have zillions of unsharp images where the active AF sensor was right on the bird's face or eye. How does that happen? Perhaps I jerked the camera at the last second. Perhaps the active sensor was on a spot with little contrast and I moved the lens at the last second. Or perhaps I moved the lens to put the active AF sensor on the subject's eye but did not give it the time it needed to acquire focus and begin tracking...

Hope that the above helps. LMK if you have any additional questions.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla, William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Great critique and instruction from Artie. I was struck by the sense of smoothing of the breast feathers in both images, even though areas of the frame are sharper both in front of and behind that area, so not a DOF field issue. Nor would I have expected motion blur restricted to that area only. Any post processing done in that area? Or perhaps, just less sharpening done there than other areas?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla, Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie and Randy, thank you for commenting and asking questions leading to improvements in post processing and field work with the camera.

Artie, I use the monopod because I have a auto-immune disease, Myasthenia Gravis, that with repeated activity (such as trying to hold the camera steady without support) can cause muscle weakness. It is difficult for me to hold the focus point steady without it. Also I am not as strong as I once was, I have you by three years. I think the mistake in Pane 1 was clicking the shutter before the autofocus had acquired focus and began tracking.

Randy, as I recall the post processing I think there was an area of the breast that was slightly hot that I did work on. I will revisit the original and work on correcting that area.

Thanks again to both of you, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post