Thread: Mickey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mickey

Attached Images Attached Images

Common little Australian bird, colloquially know as the Micky Bird. He is also known as the happy family, solider bird, noisy miner. (Manorina melanocephala)

Originally shot vertical, cropped to square which may have made the IQ suffer a bit.

In ACR - Exposure to the right. Shadows to the right.
    In PSCS6 - BG smoothed out. Hue/Sat layer. Curves Layer adjustment. A little dodge and burn. Smart sharpened for positing.

Canon 5D2
    Manual Exp
    f8 @ 1/800
    ISO 1000
    150-600 @430mm
    Hand Held

C&C Welcomed and appreciated!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glennie, I like the muted colours and diffused BKG, but try to do this more 'in camera' in relation to a OOF backdrop rather than in PP, if possible I also like the pose and the subject leaning forward. For me retaining the green 'bud' adds a splash of colour too. I would suggest dropping the Blue, say around -46, Purple -50 & a some Magenta -30 (figure is personal %) and just reducing the Black say around 6??? To me it takes the cast out of the back plumage and just helps in the relay dark areas. You can do more, but that is with Curves & Channels which might be more than you wish to take on at present. One last thought, try flipping it???

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 07-14-2016 at 02:03 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for swinging by Steve! I know about the BGs, but struggle to find them. So I figure this gives me good PP practice. If I didn't tell you, would you have known?

As soon as you mentioned the blue I saw it. I am happy to play with curves now, but haven't yet tried my meagre skills on Channels.

Here is repost as suggested. Seeing the bird flipped makes such a great difference.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally I think that is a very good improvement, but just my take.

So I figure this gives me good PP practice. If I didn't tell you, would you have known?
    Yep, there are some brighter 'blobs' on the RHS under the branch , do things on a different layer and then use masks etc.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve. Got it! Onward and upward!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A pretty bird Glennie---it's amazing how the camera lets us see the beauty in commonplace birds that we otherwise don't notice. Starlings are another good example of that.I Like how you've captured and displayed the downy under feathers.Why do we like the flipped image so much more? Is it some kind of brain trick?

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the bird and the original un-flipped version. The background is loverly and there is no edge-evidence that you did the smoothing. The soft light and colors are wonderful. You are more than ready to start posting in Avian.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also agree on the un-flipped version. I think the flipped version only brings out interest because it goes from right to left as opposed to the usual left to right. Don't quote me on that. What makes the image for me is the bean on the LR corner in the un-flipped version. I, too, cannot spot the BG smoothing, Glennie. Nice work!

11. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree on the bean Adhika. As they would say on Chopped, it makes a beautiful garnish...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Glennie, great exposure!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome Shot..

I like colors and tonality of the image.