Av(Aperture Value) 11
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +1 1/3
    ISO Speed 100
    Auto ISO Speed OFF
    Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
    Focal Length 180.0mm
    Flash Off

This young dragonfly was situated at the side of my pond. It was in such a good position I actually missed it, I have to thank my wife for spotting it. This was when I had about twenty emerge over two days, apparently stormy weather often results in these eruptions.
    I was tempted to snip off the leaf on the left but it was there and I think logically one would expect to see one there in this plant.... but I do wish it wasn't just behind the wing!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the amazing subject, great perch and sharp focus combined with the soft light and colors. The water droplets on the leaf make it a keeper.

I don't have many occasions to shoot dragonflies but got frustrated that there is so often a stray piece of plant in the wrong place, so I got a thin 6 ft dowel bar and screwed a hook into the end. I can sometimes reach a piece of plant and move it -- usually best done in the interval when a dragonfly goes off to feed and then comes back to a favored perch.

You've been getting great IQ with the 5D2 -- just curious how you feel it compares to your 1DX? (And hoping it hasn't met an unfortunate end...)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, cracking detail and I really like the comp. I just wonder if it needs a hint more below and the leaf/green bit creeping in on the stem at the foot, I might clone to the red of the stem?

The garden is producing some excellent environments & shooting opportunities.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane no the 1DX is fine, I bought the 5DII off my pal - he got the 5DIII, I got it as a back up camera for when I got to Yellowstone, I thought it would be fine for landscapes and macro and would also prevent a lot of lens changing. In a strange sort of way I really like it because it is comparatively light and it really makes me appreciate just how good the 1DX is in terms of responsiveness. I find the 5DII fine but more noisy than the 1DX, I haven't gone beyond ISO 1600 with it yet. It does not focus anywhere nearly as quickly or accurately as the 1DX but in the limited circumstances I have planned for it I am very please and for £465 I am delighted.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 07-10-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, cracking detail and I really like the comp. I just wonder if it needs a hint more below and the leaf/green bit creeping in on the stem at the foot, I might clone to the red of the stem?

The garden is producing some excellent environments & shooting opportunities.

TFS
    Steve
    Yes, thanks Steve I noticed that, I am trying to leave things as near to reality as I can, I appreciate the critique becasue it will help me gauge which images I may/may not put into competitions

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent in all respects, Jon! Soft light, overall sharpness, comp, background, interesting subject, - and the shiny new wings put it over the top!