Thread: Making Tide

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Making Tide

Attached Images Attached Images

Seeing Adhikas wonderful "Sea" image in the Landscape forum I thought I would try my luck. I have lots of frames of waves but I found it hard to have a point of interest. Does it need a point of interest?

The image before this one has a nice light on the water and a bit more separation of the two rocks, but it suffered from being gently knocked by a little wave. I don't think I could class it as an artistic blur.

In ACR - Increased contrast and a tiny bit of exposure. A little vibrance added.
    In PSCS6 - I am embracing the NIK collection at the moment and trying all sorts of things. Detail extractor on the FG and Dfine over the whole image. A Hue/Sat layer. A little dodging. I was surprised I could get no more colour (without it looking cooked) from within the FG wave.

Canon 5D2
    Canon 70-200mm @75mm
    f13
    2.00 sec
    ISO 100
    Tripod

C&C Always welcomed and appreciated!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this one Glennie, instead of power in the waves it represents a much more peaceful scene, and I like the stark contrast between the soft water and the sharp rocks. I think the lighting represents the feel you get at this time of day.

3. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just gorgeous! I love the two lighter areas in the corners of the FG, and the blurred waves are perfect! My only thought is that the top region looks like contrast has been brought down by lowering the lightest tones -- but maybe not -- maybe that's just how the clouds were. Not sure if I could improve it there at any rate, as you don't want it to compete with the scene below -- just a quick thought. I might consider cropping about half those darker clouds to keep my eye on the beautiful water.

I think you should spend more time at the beach! You have some lovely images!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Warren and Diane.

Diane, I am pleased you liked this. I did take the "blue" out of the clouds, but your idea of cropping them out appeals. I looked at this when I had completed all the PP and thought..WT.. Who's going to like a heap of soft water and rocks? I am afraid I still don't know what makes a "pleasing" image.

I do love a quiet beach.
    Last edited by Glennie Passier; 06-26-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think a pleasing image is very relative. There is probably an average distribution among average viewers as to the type of images they like, but I'd go with whether it is pleasing to the maker. A lot of your acquaintances will agree with you on any one image, but those who don't shouldn't make you change your mind, except by adding to some sort of nebulous database. Sometimes we want an image to please a large audience, especially early in an artistic journey, but we all need to find out own voice, too.

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane, the post above has a wonderful ethos to it many thanks.
    Glennie ,much has been said that I concur with it's a lovely soothing/calming frame of a beautiful location. I also struggle with a point of interest in such senarios . For me I don't think I would wan to crop this. I've read through the thoughts given but I really like those upper clouds and wouldn't want to loose any of them

Take care

Stu

9. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Diane and Stuart. I did wonder about cropping some from the bottom to make more action on the waves, but then when I looked at it that way, the peace was lost and the "angry" sea came in.

11. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am glad you post this one, Glennie! It's a very nice image. Personally, I am in love with the FG especially with the reflection on its more glassy surface. This is where art comes in and there is no right or wrong about it. I am sure you know it already but you could also experiment with various shutter speed to see how it affects your blur.

13. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post