Thread: Here Comes Dinner - Is it a Keeper or Should It Go to the Trash Bin?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Here Comes Dinner - Is it a Keeper or Should It Go to the Trash Bin?

Attached Images Attached Images

The male burrowin owl landed right in front of his mate with a grasshopper in his beak. He then proceeded to offer her the meal. This is one of the most beautiful images of burrowing owls that I have captured, but from the technical stand point, it is a ruined image because the female owl was completely out of focus. To all of my FB friends, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this image. Is it a keeper or should it go to the trash bin?

1DX2
    400 f4 DO II + 2X III = 800mm
    1/3200
    f8
    ISO-4000
    HH from car window.

I'd appreciate to hear your thoughtful feedback on this image. Please don't hold back.

Thank you

Loi

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loi, a keeper for me as I love frames depicting behaviour of various species. As a stand alone image I am not quite sure it works 100%, but I would certainly include this in a Story Sequence and maybe even send it to a birding magazine. One small nit, I would have liked a tad more space at the bottom of the frame:)

Do not bin this if it warms your heart, it is indeed very special - I enjoyed viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I would keep it, Loi. It's unfortunate the other bird got in the way, but we all have had it happen. The memory of the day and time will be brought back when you look at the image again. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really would be a special image without the "inturder". As a technical photo for me it is not a keeper. The other owl is just too in the way. I also do not like that the shadow is cut off. Considering your off sun angle you did well. Seems like you get out there quite often for these birds so I am sure you will have more chances at them. Looking forward to the next one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loi it's a shame about the oof bird it does spoil it a bit for me ,I do think the flying bird is really good perhaps one of your best IMHO.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh I wish it had been different for you... Sadly not working for me bc of the blobby owl in front, I just see a very big missed opportunity. The incoming owl is a sweet flight shot, so maybe some fancy PS work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The incoming owl is gorgeous and looks great in ever way but the OOF bird kills it for me unfortunately

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet flight shot with prey! I would photoshop that other bird out, it would take some time and skills, but it could be done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Folks, thank you for your thoughtful comments. My conclusion is that the OOF owl killed the image. But what an incredible missed opportunity that was for me. Don't think I had ever shot an incoming owl in such gorgeous light, pose, with natural prey in its beak ever before, and with a 2X TC. I wonder when will be the next time? But that make this game interesting, isn't it? because fo the bog missed, we will come back again and again until we get it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is a keeper for me. Without the owl in the foreground it would be an entirely different image. The image that you have posted tells the story which is why I like it. I do agree with a little more space on the bottom.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina makes a good point!
    If you like the image and the story it tells, then it is a keeper for sure! there is no right and wrong in art

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose and details on the incoming owl but the out of focus bird makes it a delete for me. Keep shooting you'll get the killer frame soon.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com