Thread: Pink

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pink

Since lately I posted photos that don't look good in the thumbnail I want to keep this habit with this one from home. I hope you like it, despite I had to lower the quality to 6 in the jpeg compression to fit into the size limit.

1DX
    700mm
    ISO800
    f: 14
    1/1250
    handheld

Name:  Pink-bpn.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  301.8 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow- make a great jigsaw puzzle!!
    Brilliant.
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pattern of the birds with all those neck curves is astounding. The texture and the colors look a bit funky to me. I am wondering how others see that...

Where were they photographed?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As usual, Lorant. Beautiful and different. As John said, would make a fantastic jig saw puzzle.

My only very minor nit would be the thedarr, wing shadow of the bird on the LHS.

Thank you for sharing!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The pattern of the birds with all those neck curves is astounding. The texture and the colors look a bit funky to me. I am wondering how others see that...

Where were they photographed?
    Thanks for the comments.

Artie. What do you mean by "funky"?

I had to lower the quality in the jpeg compression...that might be the reason. For the rest their colors are intense in the mating season. They are building their mud nests as well, so often the feathers a little muddy. I photographed it at my home area in Mexico:). A paradise that I hope will receive more care, recognition and protection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one heck of a frame, Lorant. You have been killing these flamingo images and this one is no different. The only thing this image is missing for me is a certain flamingo, pair or cluster of flamingos which stand out a bit from the rest to help ground the frame. Now I see an interesting one in the middle with a lovely curved neck, and I would like to see an image with a key element such as that out of the center. Regardless of that, this image ROCKS!!!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lorant:

I certainly agree, what a group, my daughter who loves jigsaw puzzles would be thrilled to work on this one.

I do understand Artie's comment on the colors. Perhaps because of the crowding and mud, the feel is almost as if a post processing filter effect was applied that makes it look a grungy, for want of a better term. Not bad, just different.

I know that you didn't process it that way, but that is how it strikes me.

Amazing capture.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lorant Voros View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

Artie. What do you mean by "funky"?

I had to lower the quality in the jpeg compression...that might be the reason. For the rest their colors are intense in the mating season. They are building their mud nests as well, so often the feathers a little muddy. I photographed it at my home area in Mexico:). A paradise that I hope will receive more care, recognition and protection.
    Hi Lorant,

As Randy said after me, "funky." As if some sort of filter had been used.

I have never seen lowering the quality of a JPEG to affect the look or quality of a JPEG. Perhaps it is because I use the Optimize to file size feature in Save For web and optimize my sharpened JPEGs to < 395kb... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the coming comments everyone. :)

I hear you Artie and Randy. I find the color of this bird very tricky. I shoot in RGB and when I convert the image to sRGB it all gets over saturated. Compensations change tones as well..so it might be one of the reasons. I add a screen shot of the original file opened in ACR. I am eager to hear your suggestions and advice. Thank you.

Name:  pink-in-ACR.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  392.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lorant. It is possible that the funky might be caused by the gray mud being too dark... I say that because the image in Pane #9 does not look as funky as the OP. Or, it might be a color cast issue... If you would like to send the RAW file via a large file sending service like Hightail, send it here: samandmayasgrandpa@att.net. I'd love to take a crack at it with DPP 4. a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Lorant. It is possible that the funky might be caused by the gray mud being too dark... I say that because the image in Pane #9 does not look as funky as the OP. Or, it might be a color cast issue... If you would like to send the RAW file via a large file sending service like Hightail, send it here: samandmayasgrandpa@att.net. I'd love to take a crack at it with DPP 4. a
    I am looking forward to see what you make out of the original RAW. Thank you for your never ending teaching and attention.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Lorant, I took a 100% conservative approach with the image using DPP 4 to convert it. One of the things that I noticed with the RAW file that was not evident in the original post is that you made a common error: with AF active you used the center AF point. Thus, sharpest focus was on the birds in the middle of the frame. Best always to focus on the birds near the front of the flock in situations like this. Our eye does much better without having to deal with o-o-f birds in front of the point of focus. Thus my crop from the bottom. LMK what you think of the color.

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: the color surely is a lot different, and I think, a lot more natural. a

pps: you are most welcome/it is always my pleasure. I wish that I had more time to help folks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie. Thanks for taking the time. I don't think this is the right color..your version is more "cold" I'd say. I think there will be only one way....you will have to come to visit me and I take you out to photograph them. In any case, their intense color is a challenge to reproduce for sure.

As far as the focusing suggestion...I will keep it in mind next time when I have the chance.

Lorant

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lorant. YAW. Even if I were there it would still be difficult to get the color right... Maybe somewhere in between.

Looking back, the original post is too grayed out, too funky, and too orange :)

a