Thread: Pelican in preening pose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pelican in preening pose

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created a few days ago under overcast winter skies and I found this bird sitting on a dead tree cleaning itself during a mayfly hatch. The lighting and lack of contrast gave the scene a surreal studio-like feel. Your comments will be appreciated.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III, 1/800, f5.6, ISO 500, monopod. DPP / CS6, cropped for composition, OOF mayflies removed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerhard,
    Nice portrait here with fine details, sharpness throughout and a pleasing pose. I would try moving the bird off center with cropping from the right. I would also suggest including more of the perch but it looks like there may be other elements below which could be an issue. In either case a fine image.
    Allen

3. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gerhard maybe a little tight at the bottom but that apart it all looks very good to me,think the pose really makes it.

Keith.

5. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes very nice Gerhard,good pose great detail,agre on more view of the perch.TFS.

7. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely clear image

9. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and love the soft light. I am envious... Sharp with a nice EXP but I think that the bird could go a bit lighter.

Image design: the bird needs to be more to our left with this great pose and the feet are too tight below. Do you have more room below and right? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Beautiful bird and love the soft light. I am envious... Sharp with a nice EXP but I think that the bird could go a bit lighter.

Image design: the bird needs to be more to our left with this great pose and the feet are too tight below. Do you have more room below and right? a
    Thanks Arthur. Unfortunately no space left below and right. I have other images in this series that may crop better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Or you might be able to grab source material from one of those other images with which you can expand canvas... YAW. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

14. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post