Thread: Boneparte's Gull

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Boneparte's Gull

Attached Images Attached Images

I photographed this Boneparte's Gull in the late evening about 2 weeks ago. Bird was swimming in a very green area due to the reflection of the foliage and I liked the way it all came together. I toned down the green a bit because it was a bit too overpowering.

Canon 7d2 and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4xiii. ISO 400, SS 1/200, f8,

Converted in DPP 4. Very little done in PS. As mentioned I brought the greens saturation and luminance down a bit. Adjusted highlights and shadows, contrast and used the NIK white neutralizer,/tonal contrast filter. Sharpened and saved for web.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good detail in the whites and nicely composed I would prefer it a bit lower in the frame but its that old problem with reflections again.
    Whatever- a nice photograph.
    JohnR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John. You know this is basically a gull sitting in the water. I think that what makes this worth looking at is the pretty green color of the water and the reflection. But I know what you mean about the reflection and often struggle a bit with these types of pics. It is one of the reasons that I posted it as it is good for me to hear other perspectives on that issue.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac
    Basically I don't like reflections. Reason is this. Include all the reflection and the main subject has to be smaller in the frame.. Chop it off and it often looks bad. Thats why I don't mind the wobbly ones -broken up type. You can play with them a bit !!
    Cheers
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I understand your reasoning totally but don't share the same belief. But that is what is great about this site. I appreciate the differing ideas and methods. I think there is a beauty to a photograph that really shows how the bird is in nature. Sometimes I think we all get a bit too caught up the "ideal" image or portrait and lose sight of the natural surroundings. Reality is that birds on water create reflections so I try and embrace it and take a photo that enhances it. What's better than a bird on the water? 2 of course

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Reflection aside, there is lots of nice detail in the bird - nicely presented. If this is not too much of a crop already it might be worth considering losing the head in the reflection and balancing the crop accordingly. Just an idea, not saying it'll definitely work.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning light and beautiful composition Isaac! Makes for a lovely image. Well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent IQ.
    Whites look great.
    I agree with you that it is the color palette in the water that elevates this image above the usual gull images we see.
    Gail