Thread: Low Tide

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Low Tide

When going through the archive, I found this one from a vacation in Southern Oregon from many moons ago which I believe was taken by the beach near our hotel.

I will be the first to admit that the composition is not exactly what I'd like to see in my pictures these days but I think that just shows how our styles evolve in one way or another. For example, I still remember going through the long exposure phase back then and I am pretty sure that's the only reason I took this picture. But when I processed this image yesterday, even though I still love long exposure shots, I think the break in symmetry on the top right portion is an unresolved tension that outweighs the dreamlike long exposure on the sky. In any case, I assume some people might perceive it differently so chime in with your comments.

12mm lens on DX body, 88 sec, f/16, ISO 200 with simple processing on LR and export to Affinity photo to tame down the surfline (low opacity healing brush)

Low Tide Oregon Coast Adhika Lie
    Last edited by Adhika Lie; 05-07-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Reposting with Glennie's suggestion (minor changes)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my! This is very, very nice. You have a talent for this sort of landscape. Just beautiful Adhika. You have such a good eye for composition. Now you know I can't let an image go without at least one nit. So here it is. That tiny little light speck of a stone on the LHS mid frame is just a tad to bright for me. Beautiful lead in line with the ridge of sand.

I'm heading off to a little island in a couple of weeks. I would be happy to achieve something half as nice as this.

Well done Adhika!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glennie, many thanks! Nice observation on that rock. I was not bothered but now I can't unsee it so it has to go. Because the modification is so minor, I am reposting it on Pane #1.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I reckon that does it. Well done! I can't wait to give this a try.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adhika

I like the B&W treatment, it maybe a bit bright on the surf line for me but thats niggling... I also think i would have got a little lower so the two rocks were not so isolated from each other but that's just me thinking out loud really. Not sure i would have shot this like that.. Nice image..

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, thanks so much! I agree with your assessment about the surf line. It's still a little too bright. I decided to give it another round of edit to see if I can tame it a little more and I think this is a much more pleasing image. Just pretend you've never seen the earlier image. Is this believable?

Oregon Coast

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

HI Adhika, Very nice image and I like the choice to go BW with the long exposure. I do wish the foreground element was not as prominent in the frame as it is and I find the image tonalities a little to bright and needing darker darks. I hope you dont mind but I did a quick edit to show you what I mean in it I tone down the bright areas with a luminosity mask and adjusted the black and mid points with a level adjustment. Just for fun I did ad a Orton layer to the overall image.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don, thanks for these very good inputs. You have given me the encouragement to work on this image some more.

So, I brought down the curve a little bit and brought up some texture on the sky using CEP. What do you guys think?

Name:  DSC_7666-1000.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  162.8 KB
    Last edited by Adhika Lie; 05-10-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adhika, the last post if my favourite. Love it! Do I see magenta and green?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The last post works for me
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And for me..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm late to the party here, but love this and its evolution. I didn't mind the surf line in the OP but do love the toning in the last one. The detail above the FG rock is so lovely that I think it serves as a nice bridge to the distant ones.

Nice to see such a nice shot from previous years! And so nice to be able to go back and re-work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually like the composition here. Not as obvious as most would shoot it.
    I prefer the 2nd last repost.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adhika,

A little late to the party but I too like this composition and my preference is for the repost in Pane #8. Very well done :)