Thread: Rushing Home

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rushing Home

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I have a confession to make: I guess I never told any of you about this music I have in my head while travelling on those Kalahari roads... At first I thought I was going crazy and tried to chase it away, but it kept coming back:) Years went by and I got used to it, although I still keep trying to find some explanation for this phenomenon. I visit this magic place about twice a year, strange enough those lovely tunes return every time, not on the first day of the trip but usually later when I begin to relax, they magically disappear as soon as I leave the Park. They never occur in the Kruger or other wonderful places I am privileged to be able to visit:)

You might wonder why am I telling you this? Well, I like to think my "music" helps me see and photograph things, as well as helps with the narrative, for I do have a habit of taking notes at various sightings. Those notes mostly refer to how I felt at the time, they are usually not just telling the animals' story but also my story, and in doing so I teach myself to remain free and creative - I guess no harm in it?

I remember so well the morning I captured this image - it was almost 6:30 am and we arrived at the Kij Kij water hole. As soon as Andre parked the vehicle under the big tree the music suddenly stopped, but for once I had an idea of what it sounded like and so I wrote down quickly: "Delibes". I then lifted my eyes to see this lovely Brown Hyena coming to drink, forgot about the music and started taking images, the light was pink and quite beautiful but still not sure my camera could replicate it. I then saw the two springboks fighting in the background, time was of essence and I wanted to capture all those lovely creatures in one frame. Loved the look on the subject's face, she was in a hurry to get home and away from larger predators...Strangely my "tunes" returned but only for a short while: a "staccato" this time, which made sense...Took a few frames, enchanted by the Brown Hyena's shape, she was somehow dominating the almost barren landscape, "don't forget to keep the springbok in..." I said to myself.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 4000
    F4
    1/1000s

Let me have your thoughts on this, I do think it is a special sighting, not sure my image gives it justice though?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Hmmm music in your head, let us know when you start to hear voices telling you to get out of the vehicle . I have yet to see a brown hyena but hope to in August. I like the walking pose and open mouth. There's a bit of a hazy/dusty feel to the image as a result it feels a bit thin. I might boost the darker tones slightly without choking them but I don't know if that would be accurate. I have to be honest and my first impression was to crop a more narrow pano getting rid of the springboks. I find them a distraction drawing the eye away from the hyena. Just my thoughts.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gabriela,trying to improve my honest critique and have my thoughts on this one ,will see what others think and if my thoughts are confirmed.Going away for a few days to a new static home we have in the forest so will come back to this on our return.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I agree with Rachel, music good but voices bad! But really it seems to me that you see the "big picture and the mood" of a situation and maybe the music is good for tuning out the business of daily life and tune into the natural rhythm of wild life. Maybe it sets you up for an immersion experience. Now done with my 2 cents of psychology and on with my 2 cents of image comments. For the mood I like the dusty appearance, it goes with the tired and hang dog look of the hyena. She is done with her daily work. But the sparring of the springbok in the bkgd are just beginning their day. If I was creating this with pieces I would probably move the hyena forward some. Maybe put a bit of light on her. But this came to you as a whole cloth and it presents the mood and animals well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I'm OK on crop, postion and even having the two Springbok in the BKG, a nice touch, but it all looks a bit thin, there isn't much depth, as if you have stripped out a lot of contrast?

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela.
    I love the simplistic composition and the elements in the frame. Always special to see these in KTP.
    I think you can try and recover more of the pink light, early light feel - agree with Steve that it looks thin tonally and colour-wise?
    I think you could have shot at 1/640 or so and saved on the ISO, though with that combo it doesn't really matter LOL
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriella

I really like this one

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,
    I so appreciate your comments as well as humour, much needed from time to time as it lightens up things

Rachel, I do hope you see a Brown Hyena, they are special, so different from the Spotties, kind of delicate and fragile looking, very skittish too. Regarding "voices", I do hear some LOL, mostly Steve's, they usually say to me "...watch that FP, not enough DOF, crop it right in camera, what is your SS..."

Keith, no worries, but don't forget to take your camera along, the forest might provide some awesome sightings for you...

Nancy, I listened to a great deal of classical music as well as other music in my youth. There were times in my life when music helped me cope with difficulty, right now it is there to provide inspiration and create mood:) I agree with you about the positioning of the springbok versus hyena - nothing I could do about it though, should you start the car this shy and elusive creature runs away, we love them too much to cause them any stress. We often decide not to approach a waterhole if we see a Brownie already drinking, they are so afraid of humans they will walk away thirsty, something we try to avoid. In this instance we were already parked at the spot when she came to drink.

Steve - thank you, I see what you mean, here is an RP - WDYT? Too little, too much?

Morkel, I recovered some of the "pinkishness" for you in my RP. 1/640s not an option for me though, a dear friend (Allan Booysen, I think you know him) told me already in 2012 during our KTP trip together, that the SS needed to be a higher than the size of my lens, I took that as a rule and it worked for me ever since. In fact I make sure it is much higher than that, nowadays happy to learn that Mr. Steve Kaluski thinks along these lines too. Some get away with less I know, I just prefer to play it safe:)

Gregor, thank you so much, glad to see you are back and looking forward to you posting again

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela-- the RP definitely works and the the crop works , the springbok's are absolutely ok here . I am so fascinated by this creature , just becoming a Fan of these hyenas , they have this unusual look but something which i loved about them . Overall i just loved the feel in this image .

TFS !

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, A lovely, personal look into your mind. I love the way you roll words around in your head before you let them slip from your tongue...or your fingers on the keyboard.

I hate to be the odd man out, but I really like your OP. The springbok add another dimension to your scene. Haseeb has mentioned his fascination with these hyenas. I must say now, that because of your postings here, I have become a big fan.

Beautiful Gabriela. Thank you for sharing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, the RP for me has more depth now and creates that layering now. Have you run any NR or blur to the BKG, it appears a tad 'smoother' to these old eyes, just curious?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb, Glennie and Steve,

I am glad you did not laugh too much reading my confession. The Kalahari - with its harsh but so rich and beautiful environment - is to me an escape from a rather challenging existence in Africa. I feel I am allowed to dream, and even hear music, when there. Back home things are much more serious though, no time to dream, apart from a couple of hours in the evening when I make my appearance on BPN Wildlife:)

Haseeb, the Brown Hyena is a shy character. I have seen many but only managed to capture few on camera, usually from a distance. They seem to always be in a hurry to get back to their den. Their fur is thin and you can almost see the skin beneath, they look so fragile and defenceless. They feed mostly on carrion (leftovers from other predators' kills). They eat a lot of bone and skin, meat only when available.

Glennie - many thanks for your kind words and observations, I do try to roll words in my head carefully before I touch the keyboard, my aim is to make you understand and love those wonderful creatures I am so privileged to see:)

Steve, your keen eye is never wrong - I reduced contrast and increased brightness on the BG, hoping it would look smoother and therefore help my character stand out more. The bokkies are still there but more subtle - was is a good decision, WDYT? Many thanks for viewing, I appreciate your time and comments

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela for the Info on the Brown Hyena .

15. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela have read all the comments and tips with interest and must say you have made a great image out of a subject that does not give off a lot of cuteness but as lots of attitude.It's the repost for me with just enough of the springboks showing.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb and Keith, much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabrieala erm music in your head while photographing wild animals,hmm sadly I share you madness,share it's joy share it's healing properties play drums and write on occasion too. I can't say I have specifics for an area,but for sure a song is oft backing a stalk of mine.I best get back to your image I expect folks already think i'm bonkers,best not go further!!

Gabby the thought behind the capture spingbok and this wonderful hyena positioned how you have is fabulous: for me comp wise it's perfect. The springbok have to stay .

Oh mate just breifly your care for them re drinking is awesome,and a really cool thing to post,maybe one day we might visit your far off land,can't see it ,but never say never,that will stay with me for a long time !!

Gabriela I know we joked about your pink thing a while back but is there more to be had,Morkel's comment made me wonder?? I don't know this area it's light you guys do,but can visualise what I feel Morkel was eluding too sure it must be very subtle, just pondering.
    Mate it is a truly gorgeous frame for me the repost even better the yawn the icing and the cake and that distant pare of sparring boks make me want to stare harder. I feel if they had of been clearer they wouldn't have moved me in the same way. It's unusual how different all our perceptions are,I actually love that,for me they add almost some mystery to your frame
    take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Stu, appreciate your kind words
    Gabriela Plesea