Thread: Early morning Rockjumper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Early morning Rockjumper

Name:  Drakensberg-Rockjumper-story--Sani-Pass-433201215-Drakensberg-Rockjumper.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  335.6 KB

Drakensberg Rockjumper
    Sani Pass, Lesotho

This photograph was taken very early one morning on the top of the Sani Pass in Lesotho. Mom and dad rockjumper (endemic to South Africa) were building their nest on the characteristic, steep slopes that this area has in plenty. I liked how the early morning sun created a spotlight effect on this male and the different background captured.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments

Canon 7d Mkii | 400mm f2.8 | ISO 400 | f6.3 | 1/1250sec | Exp 0 | Sharpened for web, small adjustment to contrast and brightness

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer shot in my book. Details are great and that early morning/late evening light is by far my favorite. Bird really stands out against the dark background. The nesting material add to the image as well. A real winner. Makes me want to return to the Sani Pass as it is going on 20 years since I was there. My only nit would be with the statement that it is a South African endemic as you have stated that your pic is in The Kingdom of Lesotho. I know that is splitting hairs as the bird is endemic to that mountain range. Blame the birder in me

3. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Isaac, definitely correct on the endemic status, should have said southern African endemic :). Appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. Very nice pose, beautiful colours, great details and nice composition.
    Love the eye.

Regards,
    Satish.

6. Thanks Richard Flack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry I'm late to the table with this one. I love the look here with the highly illuminated bird (and that illumination receding toward the tail) and theatrical background. All else good too but for my taste I'd prefer the image less tight by about 10%. Nice work Richard.