Thread: Svalbard Reindeer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Svalbard Reindeer

Attached Images Attached Images

We had to climb & scramble up the steep side of a mountain outside of the town of Longyearbeyn (on Svalbard) on icy snow to find these reindeer. They are the smallest subspecies of reindeer (caribou to us Americans). They are characterized by shorter legs, more compact body and a denser coat than the other subspecies. They are also the northern most living herbivore in the world. Too cool to see these animals! Once I laid quietly in the snow, they no longer cared about me. Or maybe in solidarity they recognized that I, too, had shorter legs and a more compact body than others of my species!

Canon 1Dx, Canon 100-400 IS II + 1.4III @560mm, 1/1000, f10, ISO 1000.

c & c most appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy,the first thing that appeals to me is the look of that coat with what looks like beautiful fine hair, looks like they are pleased to have it to live in those conditions,Like the way the little bits of vegetation stick out of the snow.Those are tiny little antler for a animal this size,really like the look of this.

Keith.

3. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy - Great to see the reindeer against the snow and with their full winter coats. In August they look different against a grassy bg plus they usually had their heads down grazing on the grass. Nice to have 2 in frame. Just enough detail in the snow for me. There's a bit of blue but it seems appropriate for the conditions. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Nancy,

Lovely capture and I enjoyed reading your story! Pleasant image design and I like the trodden look of the reindeer, the little plants break the monotony of the snow.

I do not wish to comment on the "accuracy" of colours as such, this species is new to me and in all honesty I barely remember what snow looks like:) I do see blue as predominant colour in this frame, which makes me perceive the scene as cold and at the same time peaceful, or silent. Interesting how colour can influence the mood in a photograph, if I was given the RAW of this image to process I would have been tempted to go slightly whiter on the fur of the subjects but that's how I see it, I am certainly not suggesting you change anything
    Thank you so much for sharing, Nancy. I enjoyed viewing, you made me contemplate about colour and mood, tonight

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy ,thanks for the extra info I was completely unaware there were subspecies of reindeer. I find them utterly gorgeous to look at ,my lass wants one now!! Fabulous picture, two in frame making it even more special for me as they plod up the hill. To see them in their full winter coats is the icing on the cake Nancy,please share more of your images I've been blown away by the two I've seen so far from this trip,what a joy to view and be able to comment on them.
    Thanks so much Nancy

take care

stu

8. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy -- Very nice image among their habitat . Good Details and looks nice and sharp . I also liked the grass on the snow and the two of them looks beautiful . TFS !

10. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy

I too saw the blues, but it IS blue there, I presume.
    Here is my try- Reduced sat on blues slightly and did a D&B layer to get bit of separation from BG, tried to lighten the eyes and nose.
    Sharpened again for web.
    Love the moment well captured!
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

12. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Nancy - a nice image of them walking uphill, the diagonal aspect adds a cool dynamic to the shot.
    I think the whites look a tad flat, perhaps you could lift them a little?
    Both your and Andre's crops work for me.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not seen these in the flesh so to speak Nancy so can't comment on what they "should" look like.
    All I know is I feel this is a really pleasing image. The two together and the up hill scene makes it a special image.
    John

15. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nancy glad you got to see these guys, especially in the snow, worth the walk, isn't Svalbard a lovely place.

I agree with Rachel, there is a heavy presence of blue coming through, which is easily seen, but 'clouding' the overall image, both in the snow and the subjects. Neutralise this and adjust the WB helps tremendously IMHO. Also the Blacks are choked, again have you used NIK here and is this a large or slight crop??? Nice to have definition in the snow, the detail certainly adds, likewise the fact the subjects are on an incline.

If you pair this up in PS with yours you will have a better comparison and see the coloration. I think you could also loose about an inch off the foot of the image?

TFS
    Steve

17. Thanks Nancy Bell thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your thoughts and helpful comments! Andre, what is D&B? I also tried to lighten the eyes and nose. Steve, not much of a crop, but I do use software to adjust tones since I am totally frustrated on that process. I tried Lightroom for a while but wasn't sure I was achieving anything different/better. I like the neutralized effect and can go back and readjust that. As always, thank you so, so much for your explanations.