Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One last stretch then I'm off - Bar-tailed Godwit

Name:  Bar-tailed Godwit_Matthew Jones_0098_1200-FP-BPN.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  347.7 KB

Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica)
    South coast, NSW Australia

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Canon 100-400L 4.5-5.6 Mark II | Boogie board with Jobu gimbal
    ISO 400, F-Stop 7.1, Shutter Speed 1/2000s | Manual, rear focus |Full frame, CCW rotation, basic work flow

When I made the drive to a favoured shorebird site earlier this month I was blown away by the number and diversity of species yet to depart on their northward migration, possibly waiting for upper atmospheric indicators - who knows? In any case I was happy to get a few sequences of Barwit behaviour in nice light and all dressed up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Matt, I have been captivated by this image for a while. Beautiful bird and BG and well captured. I keep looking to see if I can find any nits to pick. I have just calibrated my monitor, so I could be very wrong. But I am seeing just a hint of colour banding in the BG. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot!

Thank you for sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful, the bird, the POV, the light, and especially the pose have all come together very well. I too see what Glennie is referring to, but think it may be a compression issue rather than something thats been overlooked, nice work Matt.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image, the color tones from the bird and background is really nice! I would sharp the face just a little tad bit more. Other than that this is great stuff!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet light and a good pose. And knowing the life history of this species, there is something special about seeing him about to embark on his epic migration. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glennie Passier View Post
    Matt, I have been captivated by this image for a while. Beautiful bird and BG and well captured. I keep looking to see if I can find any nits to pick. I have just calibrated my monitor, so I could be very wrong. But I am seeing just a hint of colour banding in the BG. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot!

Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks Glennie - You are correct the bands are there and made more obvious on the web due to I guess compression. I think it has to do with the Topaz BNR I applied during processing-absent on the original file and barely evident at high res, any thoughts/comments on how to avoid this banding in Topaz would be greatly appreciated. Its not noise banding so I can't find any solutions online - the workflows I have seen all relate to reducing colour and noise banding - will keep looking - thanks!