Thread: A drop with breakfast - Great Crested Grebe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A drop with breakfast - Great Crested Grebe

Name:  Great Crested Grebe_Matthew Jones_8520-1200.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  359.1 KB

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
    Central Tablelands, NSW Australia

Canon 7D II | 100-400L II | 1.4x TC III | Jobu Gimbal head | Floating hide
    1/1600 | f/8 | ISO 500 | 560mm

I recently made the annual 600km round trip to photograph GCB's and their chicks. The conditions were tough, either too windy or overcast or subject too far away. On the fourth and final session, the subjects, light and weather all came together for this creation and I got to drive home happy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the feeding interaction, the water drop is sweet! Low angle is very nice and details look sharp. I wish the light was less harsh here which has casted some deep shadows. I might try to recover a bit more detail in the neck blacks

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing interaction shot at nice low angle.

5. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Arash. That water drop is fantastic!

7. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the interaction and that incredible water drop. Excellent image Matthew.

9. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely action, great timing a very pleasing image indeed, maybe a little less contrast will help.

11. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer interaction you've captured and that droplet is a HUGE plus to this amazing behavior image. Yes the light was a bit harsh but I think you could re-processed to improve. I think I might prefer seeing a little more on top and less on the bottom.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

13. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed. Love the interaction here, and also of course the water droplet.

Well done Matthew

Will

15. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful and welcome to BPN. Love the perfect head angle on the adult, the tiny fish, and the drop. You did a great job of getting it all in the frame without looking too, too tight. How did you get so low? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

17. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Wonderful and welcome to BPN. Love the perfect head angle on the adult, the tiny fish, and the drop. You did a great job of getting it all in the frame without looking too, too tight. How did you get so low? a
    Hi Artie, thanks for the warm welcome to BPN, I'm very happy to be here and looking forward to being part of the community

Great question, to get the low point of view I used a home made floating hide and wetsuit so I can get right in the water, as opposed to chest waders which don't work as well for me. This allows me to pretty much get my gimbal mount at water level so the lens is maybe 4 inches above the water line. When I'm feeling particularly brave, have a very stable footing and no wind I take the camera off the gimbal and lay it directly on the hide platform which gets me even lower. I will be posting lots more of this style as the low POV is a particular favourite
    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 04-08-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
    Hi Artie, thanks for the warm welcome to BPN, I'm very happy to be here and looking forward to being part of the community

Great question, to get the low point of view I used a home made floating hide and wetsuit so I can get right in the water, as opposed to chest waders which don't work as well for me. This allows me to pretty much get my gimbal mount at water level so the lens is maybe 4 inches above the water line. When I'm feeling particularly brave, have a very stable footing and no wind I take the camera off the gimbal and lay it directly on the hide platform which gets me even lower. I will be posting lots more of this style as the low POV is a particular favourite
    Thanks Matthew and good on you for the floating hide, something that I have always dreamed of doing but never have...

Many thanks for your membership support. Beware the dunkings! a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Did not notice that you were using my favorite lens :) a