Thread: Eyes on the prize.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eyes on the prize.

Attached Images Attached Images

5DMkIII, 300mm, f3.2, 1/3200ss, ISO 800, manual mode, hand held.
    Last edited by John Goldman; 03-15-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Info left out, ss.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, lovely pic you've captured here! Focus seems to be really tight on the eagle (better than I can usually get!!). The action is great -- love how the baldy is actually dragging those tips on the ice ...

Please take my comments with a grain of salt ..... but would you consider re-cropping the pic slightly to get the white-ish line and the background to run a little more horizontal? The white line through the wing is a little distracting for me but I don't know what else you can do without really digging into post-processing and try to hide it. Hopefully others with a lot more experience will chime in.

Oh, and I didn't see how fast you were shooting. I'm having trouble with my own BIF shots, and it's been suggested to me to up the speed. Wanted to know how fast you were shooting ...

A keeper, no matter what.

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Andrew, for your comments. The shutter speed was 1/3200sec. My personal rule when shooting this close is 1/1600sec or faster, usually 1/2000sec. Unfortunately I have a tendency to rotate the camera during panning, terrible habit to break, so thie image has already been cropped to level the disturbing white line. More crop would leave insufficient area, for me, above the wing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John: Understand completely about the cropping. I have a hard time keeping things straight when shooting still, much less when panning!! :)

Thanks for the info on speed. You may see a post of mine here with a pelican in flight, shot too slow, I suspect and therefore some motion blur. Have to learn ..........

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific catch! Lighting on the bird appears perfect. Great angle on the bird, I wonder it you could add a bit more canvas on the right so you could rotate it just a bit more. Fantastic shot on it's own though!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Added canvas to the top, re-sized, rotated, and cropped. Darkened the disturbing white area somewhat.
    Better?
    Name:  _Z2A2351L8x10BPNa.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  162.1 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

REALLY like the re-post, John. Nothing further to add other than it's just a great, great photo.

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the RP! Great job!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm late here -- been busy -- excellent repost!! I saw it yesterday when I didn't have time to respond but wanted to say add canvas, rotate and desaturate the colors near the top.

If I got this close to a bald eagle I'd undoubtedly blow the shot from excitement! Wonderful sharpness and detail -- amazing pose!

Hope to see more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb again John awesome capture,I'm sure I'd blow everything after Diane's preceeding comment !!

Stunning

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments, criticisms and encouragement.
    Diane, there is nothing more exciting, to me, in bird photography, than being able to photograph these magnificent eagles so close.