Thread: Hugs brother

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hugs brother

Attached Images Attached Images

I found these animals one afternoon in cloudy weather close to a wildebeest kill. They had been lying up most of the day sleeping in the shade of a clump of trees nearby. As it got cooler the play began. As a result of this encounter shooting numerous action shots in low light, it was then that I decided to purchase the 1Dx. I have not regretted the purchase since.

1Dmk4
    300mm f2,8 IS USM mk11
    iso 2000 - f4 - 1/1600 sec

It has been a long time since I have participated here, so I am very rusty. Please comment and any advice is very welcome as always. Thank you!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful interaction between the pair Carl, great to witness I bet. Not sure if its the light but to me there appears to be a very slight magenta cast.

I also gave it a tiny bit extra sharpening. WDYT?

Name:  cubplaybpnrp.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  385.3 KB

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 03-11-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl -- Welcome Back , Great to see you posting again !! I like what Mike has done in his RP certainly that magenta cast is gone and sharpening looks better. Nice action captured in low light conditions and a good result for a 1dMK IV on that iso . i liked this image , the shrubs in the BKG would not have been there in a ideal world but this works fine here .

I might burn out the bright under arm portion behind the face of the crouched lion .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl - Great to see you posting again. You were missed! Fantastic action and those paws look huge. I like what Mike has done in his rp and agree with Haseeb's suggestion about the white area. Looking forward to seeing more images. I hope you'll have time to participate more frequently again.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb action captured Carl, and I am so happy to see you posting again!

Techs spot on, well exposed, nice framing. Great work in the field, your PP work does not show signs of any "rust", my friend. Nice DOF, the subjects stand out beautifully.

I like the embrace of the two Magangaans (naughty ones), the raised tail, paw about to land. Colours look good to me and I agree Mike's RP adds more pop to the subjects with some extra sharpening. Lovely detail.
    I truly enjoyed viewing this frame and sincerely hope you find the time to contribute again, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl

Stunning action well captured! Can see the image was captured on Sutton with the "sticks" ever present!
    Brought the image into PS to check, but could not pick up any magenta bits? Will recalibrate my monitor later.
    Mike's sharpening is an improvement.
    Agree to deal with the hot white area.
    Well done!!
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl, a cracking opening image to celebrate your return, very nice indeed.

Glad you didn't clip anything within the heat of the movement, lovely interaction and I love that tail. You were right in your techs and the SS worked well to freeze the action here. I too can't see any Magenta, but a slight addition of some Saturation I think helps, likewise I might selectively adjust the greens. If you ran some NR, then I would back off a little, the BKG looks a bit too smooth.
    You may be 'rusty' Carl in your eyes, but IMHO I think you pretty much nailed things and any changes are subtle ones, well done, lets see more!!!!

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments. i did some some work in the sat layer to reduce some of the red cast in subjects initially. As for most of the material that I get to shoot in this area there is always going to be reds in the pic due to the soils here. So I don't always work it out too much. Thanks Steve I did run NR so will work on that! Mike thanks for the rp it looks good!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I did run NR so will work on that!
    If you have to run it Carl, then keep things to a minimum.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl, dynamic stuff!I like the interaction very much. I can't wait to see more from this sighting. Mike has done a good job with his RP. TFS.