Thread: Red Fox.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox.

Attached Images Attached Images

This image is one of my favorites from my recent shooting.
    Thanks for looking.
    (No Noise reduction applied in PP.)

Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon 100-400 L IS Mark II
    ISO 1000
    1/500 s
    f 6.3

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of mine too !
    Snow certainly makes it.. Rain doesn,t work quite so well !!!!
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Karl fur texture and detail on this Fox is superb, can't see a thing that I would change, beautiful!

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet - Karl.

You are certainly nailing these and the Pine Martens, no question. I just wonder, if there is any sharpening on the ridge/contour of snow under the fox, if so, then I might mask it back to provide a softer edge, just a thought.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi KArl -- This looks fantastic again . Lovely colours and details in the fur . is there a need for slightest of rotation ?

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Karl - Another beautiful fox image. Love the snow on the nose. If it were mine, I might pull back on the blue/cyan especially on the whites of the fox but personal preference. Looks like there may be a masking issue on the top edge of the tail and rump. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Karl this works well as presented .
    Lovely work ... love the clean look & feel with no distraction and the sweet look the fox is giving .

I very much like your Fox images you post here , keep them coming .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Probably my favourite out of the series so far. Personally I'd like just a little extra negative space at the top of the frame, but not a massive deal by any stretch.

Very nice work.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sharp and very sweet, but there are a few issues with the placement of the animal in the frame. From side to side, it is too centered. Pointing the lens a bit left or a bit right would have rectified that. With the fox looking to our left I would have preferred him more to our right in the frame. And I am with Mike Poole on the up and down placement; do you have more canvas on top? Can you post the full frame original here? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i agree with Arthur with the center placement.
    but anyway.. the fox is looking great in the deep snow with his long fur for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Very sharp and very sweet, but there are a few issues with the placement of the animal in the frame. From side to side, it is too centered. Pointing the lens a bit left or a bit right would have rectified that. With the fox looking to our left I would have preferred him more to our right in the frame. And I am with Mike Poole on the up and down placement; do you have more canvas on top? Can you post the full frame original here? a
    Thanks Artie.
    Here is the jpeg version extracted from the original RAW file in breeze Browser Pro.
    As you can see there is substantial canvas around.
    The time was just before sunset but there was no sun, hence the blue and cyan cast that I removed from the posted image.
    Karl.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Karl. There are many ways to go with this one. My first repost is closest to what you came up with but with the animal out of the center. There are two more. Do note that image quality suffered as I was cropping from a JPEG. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Next is a bit wider...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Last is my first choice. Note that I did not do the work on the blue cast nor did I deal with the brightness; I just wanted to give you some compositional ideas. a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, I like the last one too. Now I can see that my crop was way too tight. Learned from it I hope.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome Karl. I should have mentioned that in general it is best to avoid huge crops. That said even though the IQ in your original post looked pretty darn good. a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Karl it's been very interesting and informative reading the comments of yourself and Artie,and agree very much with Artie re the IQ of your OP .

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning Karl as before loved the interaction and musings of artie on this. The final crop also rings all the bells here,an important lesson for me here too Karl thank you so much not only for sharing an image I can only dream of but also for creating the environment that foloowed

take care

Stu