Thread: Theme: Static vs. Motion

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: Static vs. Motion

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think I've posted this before....This image was created by combining photos of a ferris wheel at the NYS Fair: I took them with different shutter speeds, and overlapped them in post-processing. A couple of years ago, the photo was one of the winners at a work-related photo contest, hung in the local Syracuse art museum for a month, and was chosen for publication in the museum brochure. Then last year, at camera club, we had a graphics competition. I entered this, thinking everyone would love it as much as the artists who judged our work competition. Well, the judge at camera club looked at the left image, then at the right image, then back at the left image, and said: "I don't know where my eyes should look", and he eliminated it immediately! Go figure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story! And so true of contests. I think your camera club judge was soooooo wrong. Love it. I've tried ferris wheel photos before but just got the standard thing. Love this juxtaposition of speed and still. Colors are great, too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like what you've done -- from concept to execution. The choice of slow shutter speed worked nicely, and cropping off parts of the ferris wheels was a good idea. Judging of anything, especially if it's artistic, is fraught with at least some level of subjectivity. I wonder how the camera club judge would've reacted if the two wheels where even more different. Just to see how much difference it would make, I used a Levels adjustment layer on the moving wheel to increase the blacks and whites and to lighten the mids, all of which increased the brightness and contrast. Doing that made the moving wheel much stronger in the image. Also, I flipped the image horizontally. (With my eye wanting to enter from the left, I wanted the image to be brighter there, and I liked the perspective better that way.)

I've often considered going to an amusement part or carnival at night with my camera. Your image has convinced me that's a good idea.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis,

I can't see the image you uploaded. I first read your post in my email, and accidentally clicked on "To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...50a22128b8d423". I'm not sure if that is why I can't see it, or if it's some other reason...can you upload it again (it sounds very intriguing!).

Thanks to both you and Hazel for your kind words about the image.

Wendy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Kates View Post
    Hi Dennis,

I can't see the image you uploaded. I first read your post in my email, and accidentally clicked on "To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...50a22128b8d423". I'm not sure if that is why I can't see it, or if it's some other reason...can you upload it again (it sounds very intriguing!) . . .
    It was nothing you did or didn't, Wendy. I'd decided not to upload it, but here it is.

Name:  dbfrrswhls.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  393.8 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, I like the increased contrast in the motion image. I'm not sure about the flip, but that could be because I'm so used to seeing it unflipped. (After the month in the museum, I hung it in my house, so I see it several times a day!)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the image. The judge was wrong about it! I like what Dennis did with the motion wheel but I think I like yours better than the flip.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Judy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the image and find it quite creative and successful.
    Not only does the contrast between the two images work well and clearly, but also, the position of the wheels, sharply tilted, adds dynamism. The colors are stunning! Excellent, creative work.
    Love your story, which clearly demonstrates the subjectivity of photo evaluation

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy, I love the backstory and it shows the whimsy of judging anything artistic. I like the image And Dennis' RP.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy, the story is great as is the image. Did you experiment with moving the hub of the blurred wheel down to where the right lower rule of thirds cross point would be. In my minds eye this would create a diagonal line of sight. Just a thought.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm glad you won this month. I think this is an excellent image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Anita!