Thread: Rolling, rolling , rolling ..... peek-a-boo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rolling, rolling , rolling ..... peek-a-boo

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks have not posted a Seal in the ocean from my recent trip to Helgoland ... so here you go

This bull was rolling himself at waters edge and still keeping an eye on me ..... just in case this guy crawling on the beach ,with the big gun in his hands might come too close for comfort .

I am really happy with the image ,as very difficult to get that behavior captured . I have a lot of other frames .... but with eyes closed .But this has just one big major issue i have clipped the back flippers ....... sadly !!!

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L
    HH

F 9 ; Iso 4000; 1/2000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped for comp from RHS , bottom and top ; one might think colors are too intense specially the blue/cyan and oranges but i actually like it .... and i have not pushed the colors in PS . I just went with the DPP " fine detail " tone curve and with the curve the colors are pushed a tiny bit .
    I even dropped the sat on the blue / cyan .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - He looks like he is enjoying both the sun and the surf. Good behavioral shot. Too bad about the back flippers. I also sort of miss the right eye. Nice combination of both cool and warm colors. Like the surf as the bg.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Great rolling pose ! I like the moment and also the details but the colours are too cyanish for me , just a matter of taste . Agree with your self critique regarding the back flipper but these things happen on the field . But a nice moment nonetheless .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image as presented including the colours. The staring eye is integral to the success of the image.
    Regards the flippers well it didn't occur to me - you shouldn't have mentioned them, my first impression was that this was a bit of seaweed!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, personally I feel this hasn't the impact your previous images have had for me. I can live with the flipper, but it's the strong shadows and darks dominating the image obviously created by the time of day. It still has an engaging perspective, but you have spoilt us in the past, sorry.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have to agree with Steve here, Andreas. I do like the light and behaviour, but found myself wishing for some light on the shaded eye or even the submerged eye to be visible.
    I didn't notice the tail flipper until you mentioned it
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much folks for your comments , much appreciated .
    It might have not that much impact to every one ..... i still like it as for the unusual look he gave me , but fully understand your partial reservations about this

Cheers Andreas