Thread: Forget manners - just tuck in...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Forget manners - just tuck in...

Attached Images Attached Images

I think sufficient time has pasted since Rachel posted here image of the Machton brother, so here is a frame a bit more closer in from the encounter we had, this was early on, but one thing we did have to contend with (not seen here) was the morning was cold and their breath hot, so often detail/clarity was hampered by this. I'm not fussed about the eyes and being visible, it more about the portrayal of the moment, as he bites down. We do similar things when we enjoy our food I think, or indeed chewing on a chicken leg, pork chop etc. I feel the DoF here is right, as it emphasises the mouth, teeth and that rasping tongue which just strips bones clean, everything else can tail off and not distract the viewer on what's happening.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion (Panthera leo) eating on Buffalo carcass
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 200-400f/4 Beanbag
    Exposure: 1/320s at f/5.6 ISO3200 (At 0.67+ it's also decreasing SS, shot now, perhaps I might have gone to 6400)
    Original format: Portrait, crop from the top FF on sides
    Processed via: LRCC (2015) & PSCC 2015

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pleased you mentioned the tongue never realized that it was used rasp like to get the last little bit, find it hard to critique and find a nit, excellent detail and colour.

Keith.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - this works nicely and I like the angle. I also like the buffalo snout as the left edge. Dof works for me too. Excellent detail, including the taste buds. Looks like he is missing a canine tooth but I think it is just hidden by the lip. Only thing I would do is tone the white spot on the 4th rib from the left. I find it drawing my eye.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great timing with the shot Steve, with the tongue and the chomping motion. I know you're happy with the DoF but I'd have preferred the eye to have been a little sharper.

Apart from that, your usual high standards with the processing.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve nice in depth view of the feeding process you should have used fill flash for the depth of the mouth to look at his tonsils .
    Overall i do like the POV and the usual high IQ level . Colors do look very nice to me and overall tonality too .

I just think the eyes have to be in the DOF too, just the fang and the surroundings is just not enough for me , but it is up to prefs .
    I might look at cropping in tighter and loose the buff in the FG is not adding that much to me , plus i might try to give the Lions light tones a tiny bit more depth ( forehead) .

Nevertheless a nice insight view

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    agree with andreas on the eyes. However, all sits as usual. Love the view of the tongue and it's details.
    Nevertheless, I am not a fan of blood involved images much I might would go B&W

Wish you a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi folks and many thanks.

Considering there is a heavy 'African' influence/presence Anette, I'm surprised more isn't posted, as it's 'life in the bush', but perhaps we see enough 'gore' in our own day to day lives from other media sources?

Re the eye, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one, if I did have more DoF say f/10 then without ramping up the ISO (things have moved a long way since this), where would the SS have left me, 1/80th, may be less??? At that speed it's time to bin, as it would not be sharp and a moment lost!!!

Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve with hindsight .... yes pushing that ISO would have helped , but we all learn

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot super detail, you have only cropped the top so I think a smaller aperture would have had a limited effect in terms of increasing DOF

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I am fine with the DOF ! as the chewing process is more important part of this image . Loved the colours and tonality and framing for me works perfectly well . A high IQ image as usual . TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too am fine with the DOF and eye, especially given what it would have done to the SS as you say in your follow-up post. Processing looks great, as usual, and I love the detail in the mouth / tongue. Tells a strong story... TFS
    Mark Needham

My Website

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely framed and I like the expression of enjoyment caught here, Steve
    I do wonder what f8 or f11 would have done but I too have some images from my recent trip where I look back at my settings and wish I tried this and that...we never stop learning and making small mistakes eh.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Full rack of ribs has to be eaten this way! Tuck in and worry about the mess later! glad you left the nose of the buffalo in the frame

DOF doesnt bother me either

TFS