Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme. I got the nut!

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm
    1/5000@f 7.1
    iso 1000.

One of some images I tried for with lots of failures of Squirrels jumping between a couple of posts. Would be very interested to know how the red looks ,I always tone it down when posting on this forum, could be my old eyes or my new monitor.

Thanks for taking a look and your comments on my Harvest Mouse.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of some images I tried for with lots of failures of Squirrels jumping between a couple of posts.
    Hi Keith, you can shoot a whole card to get a couple of keepers, so don't be hard on yourself, but if you are thinking of doing this again this year then I might suggest you change cards, but I will ask Gabriela.

I'm not sure if it's an optical thing, or whether the Squirrel is just angling fractionally away from you, best I think to get side on and you may find f/2.8 or f/4 may be better, but still retain that high SS, perhaps 1/4000. Like the fact he has the hazelnut in his gob, the flying thief . I think the reds look good, the light doesn't look too harsh as the whites look well retained, not blown and the coat has a nice sheen to it.

Well done.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith , i really like this jumper !!
    Good pose and comp , colors do look good to me .The angle could have been better , but i have no idea how to make this possible and how to tell squirrel which way he should jump .
    Your timing was right to catch him in the air .
    For me the fine hairs are a tiny bit too coarse , i might lower the sharpening a fraction .

But i wish i could get this kinda shot , so you did well in getting this image !!!!

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Keith

You did it! You got the thief, LOL. Airborne!

Looks great to me, colours and all. Love the outstretched paws and that fluffy rudder of a tail. Super techs and very nice IQ, maybe a tad over-sharpened but you can go back on that if you want to. Well exposed and the BG is great. This is awesome, my friend.

Don't ask me about a faster - or a better card, than that mean XQD. Because Steve is just pulling my leg, LOL. I spent a little fortune on a super-fast Lexar 3400x speed, 510MB/s, only to realise my D4 will not take it. That, after I scribbled my name on it, so not a chance I can return it to Nikon Oh well, always in a hurry, I must learn patience...

Back to your flying squirrel, I think she's gorgeous and I would be very proud to have one of these in my folders. Nice PP work and such a lovely capture overall, TFS!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply and utterly amazing Keith words fail bar one....HOW? . Another vote for a slightly different position Keith but for me to just see this would be enough let alone capture it like you have congrats mate superb

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - Super action. Yes, it is angled just slightly away but not a deal breaker in this case and something to make you keep going back for more shots . Colors look good. Very well done.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot ,Steve and Andreas bit annoyed with myself re sharping both of you get a lovely soft textured look on fur and think I might have been getting there until maybe a bit carried away with usm.Gabriela think Steve is having a bit of a giggle about cards, I don't have a card reader for XQD card on my D4 which I left in the camera and deleted a full days shooting up on the Northern moors, a mate of mine was clever enough to get most of them back for me, thanks a lot. Stu if you are interested (fail bar one....HOW)please contact me if I can be of any help, thanks for your comment.Thanks Rachel ,will look and see if I have anymore with a better head angle, pleased about the colour.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, I think you now have a good platform to build on, if you have more 'in the bag' to post in the future.

We are all here to help, so if you have any questions just drop any of us a line, but if you think I occasionally lose you in some PP, just put the breaks on with Andreas, he's more 'techy' than me , and keep reading that book.

Yes, I was having a chuckle about the cards, and Gabriela, even one of Hilton's clients did a similar thing and then hoped Nikon could help out in Capetown.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith -- Very nice action , perfect timing but that nut in its mouth makes this a special image . COlours , details , framing , all looks good to me . Very well done . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic capture here, Keith. Agree about the angle, but not a deal-breaker at all. I agree with Andreas about it looking a tad oversharpened, but that is an easy fix. Also, there looks like some noise or masking issue around the "tufts" on his head, but it could be my tired eyes after a long day at work.
    Mark Needham

My Website

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mark much appreciated.

Keith.