Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
    Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/320
    Av(Aperture Value) 4.5
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 2000
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Weather prospects looking poor having seen Steve's image my fingers were twitching I couldn't wait for the weather to buck up so here is an image from 2014 - pretty dull then too! I just checked the folder, ISO went from 1600 to 12800.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I added the theme prefix . From the techs and your description sounds like the conditions were tough and light at a premium. I would prefer a bit more dof but not a deal breaker. Interesting to see how much more grey this one has than Steve's appeared to have. We don't have reds in NY so I'm not really familiar with their colors. If it were mine, I might crop down from the top to more of a pano to get rid of the dark spot in the bg. If you prefer, you could clone it out. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, like Rachel mentioned about colour the winter coat that has the bonus of nice ear tufts but is grey rather than the nice red coats that they have in the summer. This is a nice one with good detail considering the conditions you had, nice BG to top it off.

Keith.
    Last edited by keith mitchell; 01-05-2016 at 05:15 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, yep weather is still pretty dismal as you say and everything up here is so flooded, a football pitch was flooded to the height just below the crossbar, that's how bad it is, so can appreciate your frustration, but good to go back to old files.

If you were on Auto then that SS needs to really be around 1600-2500 & DoF minimum f/5.6 in my book and then worry, if need be, about the ISO in PP. These cameras are designed to be pushed, 1/320 is way too slow. Agree with Rachel on the BKG and just watch any 'squirrel treats' creeping into view. Guessing, but perhaps slightly looking up may have helped lose the busy FG so you just have the moss, it would then be cleaner IMHO. Have you any more frames where the squirrel is more upright and paws visible rather than the slightly crouching stance?

When you go back you might want to take a flash, but have it off camera, it may help. Good luck.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel & Keith, if I recall correctly this colouration is due to their ancestry, the population was almost wiped out in the twntieth century and squirrels were introduced from the continent, I think some were from Germany. Around 2012 -2013 the population crashed again, primarily due to squirrel pox. In 2013 there were few and were difficult to photograph, by 2014, when this was taken, there were good numbers again so hopefully 2016 should be ok, I just have to get a decent day and a good supply of hazel nuts.

6. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, yep weather is still pretty dismal as you say and everything up here is so flooded, a football pitch was flooded to the height just below the crossbar, that's how bad it is, so can appreciate your frustration, but good to go back to old files.

If you were on Auto then that SS needs to really be around 1600-2500 & DoF minimum f/5.6 in my book and then worry, if need be, about the ISO in PP. These cameras are designed to be pushed, 1/320 is way too slow. Agree with Rachel on the BKG and just watch any 'squirrel treats' creeping into view. Guessing, but perhaps slightly looking up may have helped lose the busy FG so you just have the moss, it would then be cleaner IMHO. Have you any more frames where the squirrel is more upright and paws visible rather than the slightly crouching stance?

When you go back you might want to take a flash, but have it off camera, it may help. Good luck.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, you wrote whilst I was making the previous reply! I took these images shortly after I got the 1DX, so I didn't really appreciate the good high ISO performance as much as I do now. I remember being frustrated at the angle and the little blighter did not provide me with a better pose (probably why I didn't post it!). I had made a mental note regarding flash but I must admit I had since forgotten so thanks for reminding me, I have a remote flash set up, it's just a cheapo so flash control is manual not TTL but I will see what I can do.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a remote flash set up, it's just a cheapo so flash control is manual not TTL but I will see what I can do.
    Great look forward to seeing the results.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jonathan,

Thrilled to see you post in Wildlife again, lovely Theme image. I am still looking for one to share:)

I love squirrels and I think they make great images - lots of character and that huge cuteness factor. I love the pose here and vibrant colours, very much. In terms of crop I would take off a tad from the bottom. It appears to me that the FP was on the vegetation in front of the subject, which seems much sharper than the subject itself - am I wrong?

Superb BG and the subject just adorable, enjoyed viewing, TFS!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, had a look at the raw file in DPP no focal points displayed so maybe strictly speaking it wasn't in focus.

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Or maybe the little one was moving and 1/320s just not enough? Such a sweet capture Jonathan, I hope you get plenty opportunities in the future, would love to see more on those Red Squirrels

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- Well most of the things are covered in the above comments but one thing i would like to add , cropping the oof bump in the FG might give it a more pleasing comp , i find it a bit distracting , otherwise a lovely image in terms of colours and subject .

TFS !

14. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice soft light and good color here. A few good suggestions above. Love the tufts on the ear of this species!