Thread: Amberwing II

David Chauvin

Default Amberwing II

Attached Images Attached Images

These tiny dragons are my local favorite. They are fairly rare but usually co-operative to work with.

30D, Sigma 180f3.5, 1.4x, 1/25 sec, f5.6, iso 200, +1/3EV, ambient light, full frame
    David
    South Louisiana

Fabs Forns

Color palette is spectacular, even the yellow mixed in the BG, not to mention the perch!
    Wish the tips of the wings were a bit more defined since everything else is so sharp.
    <------speaking out of jealousy ;)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The oof bg is perfect. The anthers on the grass are just exquisite! It would be nice to have those wingtips in focus, however, dragonflies mostly perch with their wings open, in this case the right wings are extending toward us. So getting the wingtips in focus would require boatloads more DOF. That would also bring the bg into focus which would clutter the shot. There are often a lot of trade-offs with arthropod photography.

Certainly a sweet cover shot for Audubon Magazine.

Nice job!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely image. sharp subject & lovely BG to go with. especially liked its pose with its tail bent down (normally we get to see the ones with tail in horizontal position). TFS.

Steve Wheeler

Exceptional image David! Definitely with Fabs on the color palette and BG... And then there's the great perch.

The color and detail in the fly are superb... This is really SWEET!

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful image David - I love the pose of the dragonfly perched on such a delicate flower-head and the BG is simply superb. The OOF wing tips don't bother me here as they suggest to me that the d'fly has just alighted. Very well seen and captured!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is spectacular, David. The light, the colors, the composition, and the sharpness are all outstanding. I do not have a problem with the OOF wingtips - agree with John on this.

Mike Moats

Hey David, a excellent shot as usual. What makes this shot for me is the glow of the perch.Sweet BG.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi david,
    Usually I'm a max DOF guy............but this works very well for me and agree with above comments.

Julie Kenward

Beautiful image. Can't believe I missed this one! That pose and comp are perfect.

chad anderson

very sweet image here, interesting dfly and nice colors all around..

Mike Moats

Hey David, congrats on inclusion in the IOTY