Thread: Thick Knee (Burhinus grallarius)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thick Knee (Burhinus grallarius)

Attached Images Attached Images

This Bush thick-knee or Stone Curlew was nesting almost on beach front. The sexes are identical and both share the incubation period. Extremely hard to spot and well camouflaged. There was a pair guarding two, dark brown, mottled eggs.

The image was taken late in the afternoon.
    canon 5DmkII
    1/1000 @ f5.6
    ISO320
    Spot Metering
    EF100-400mm L USM lens @ 400mm
    Hand held

PP included cropping, cloning out grass, USM selective sharpening, colour slightly saturated in parts and desaturated in others. NR on BG.

Questions about this image.

!. Are the "head angle" police about? I have another few images of different angles, but liked the stare down the barrel. I read an extensive post by the "HAP" on this site. Most enlightening, but thought provoking.
    2. The single white feather? Would it be better cloned out/toned down. This feather was the only way I could tell which bird was where.
    3. The tail end of the bird is very soft and OOF. Would a tighter crop work better?

Any other suggestions? I had the ideal time of day and a co-operative subject, but feel I could get a whole lot more and missed the opportunity.

C&C always welcome and appreciated.

Glennie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose here, but then I regularly get citations from the head angle police, as well as the tail angle and light angle officers. I like some variety in my shots.

Only on my iPhone today but this looks excellent there. I don't mind the tail being OOF -- DOF is always a struggle for a bird at an angle. I would strongly prefer the inclusion of the whole bird to a crop.

3. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Gennie, Very nice image I love the head on look with both eyes sharp no citation from me as a member of the HAP and the reason why I find the HA important has to do with a viewers connection to an image you want your audience to be engage with your subject, can an image work without a good HA yes but it has to be compelling for other reasons. The white feather is fine would not worry about it and the OOF tail is to expected so no issue there. I would suggest that you selectively brighten the eyes to better hold your viewers attention.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Don. I agree. When I look at the OP, the eyes are certainly a bit dullish. I have sharpened and brightened. (This is a different image to the OP.) I understand the importance of the HA and the need to connect the viewer with the image (bird)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent! Hope to see more!

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is looks awesome
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

9. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post